Gia Lewis-Smallwood is currently ranked third in the world.
Sep 6, 2013
BRUSSELS, Belgium -- Former Illinois women's track and field athlete Gia Lewis-Smallwood (1998-01) finished second in the women's discus throw final in the Diamond League on Friday. Lewis-Smallwood threw a mark of 64.82m to place second behind Croatia's Sandra Perkovic (67.04m).
The Champaign, Ill. native's second place finish gave her enough points to finish second overall in the Diamond League standings. She is currently ranked third in the world in the women's discus throw.
Lewis-Smallwood's finish at the Diamond League comes just three days after winning the Hanzekovic Memorial, where she defeated Perkovic in her hometown of Zagreb, Croatia, marking her first defeat since July of 2012.
Diamond League Women's Discus Throw Final Results
1. Sandra Perkovic (CRO), 67.04m
2. Gia Lewis-Smallwood (USA), 64.82m
3. Melina Robert-Michon (FRA), 63.45m
4. Yarelis Barrios (CUB), 63.02m
5. Zinalda Sendriute (LTU), 62.05m
6. Zaneta Glanc (POL), 60.81m
7. Nadine Muller (GER), 60.40m
8. Anna Ruh (GER), 58.59m