Morolake Akinosun qualified for the 2013 Pan Am Junior Championships after finishing second in the 200m at USA Juniors.
June 21, 2013
DES MOINES, Iowa -- Freshman Morolake Akinosun turned in another great performance at the USA Junior Championships, as she finished second in the 200m with a new lifetime best time of 23.18. Akinosun will now compete at the Pan Am Junior Championships in both the 100m and 200m in Medillin, Columbia in August.
"It was another great day for Morolake," head coach Tonja Buford-Bailey said. "A personal best this time of year is exactly what she has worked so hard this season for. Ashley ran a fantastic race today. She was very composed against the nation's elite to run one of the fastest times in her career."
Since Des Moines had a small weather delay, the prelims of the 200m were reseeded and made into one final at 3:45 p.m. Akinosun ran out of lane eight and was mid-pack through the curve. She moved through the field down the straight, to finish runner-up with a lifetime best time of 23.18. Akinosun's time is the fifth fastest in school history.
Sophomore Ashley Spencer qualified for the finals of the 400m in the senior division, finishing third overall with a time of 50.77. The Indianapolis native is the only collegian in the eight women final which will take place tomorrow at 5:08 p.m. Spencer crossed the line second in her heat and will look to run on Team USA tomorrow as the top three will advance to compete at the World Championships in Moscow, Russia August 10-18.
200m Final Results at USA Junior Outdoor Championships
1. Ana Holland, Unattached - 23.04
2. Morolake Akinosun, Illinois - 23.18
3. Destinne Gause, Unattached - 23.41
4. Marybeth Sant, Angel Flight Track - 23.81
5. Gabriella Cantrell, East Oakland Youth Development - 23.82
6. Aaliyah Brown, Illinois Elite Track Club - 24.17
7. Alexis Murphy, South Carolina - 24.17
8. Chanitta Westbrooks, Kent State - 25.59
400m Semifinal at USA Senior Outdoor Championships
1. Francena McCorory, Nike - 50.53
2. Natasha Hastings, Under Armor - 50.67
3. Ashley Spencer, Illinois - 50.77
4. Ebonie Floyd, Unattached - 51.10
5. Joanna Atkins, Nike - 51.19
6. Jessica Beard, Adidas - 51.51
7. Sanya Richards-Ross, Nike - 51.53
8. Rebecca Alexander, Nike - 51.78