The Illini fell to Northwestern in the semifinals of the Big Ten Tournament.
April 30, 2011
ANN ARBOR, Mich. - The sixth-seeded Illini women's tennis team (11-13) came up short against defending Big Ten Tournament champion and second-seeded Northwestern (19-7) Saturday afternoon in the semifinals, as the Wildcats claimed a 4-0 victory to advance to the title match.
"We had a decent run, but it's disappointing to have our season end so prematurely," head coach Michelle Dasso said. "That is something that will be a motivating factor for our returners all summer. Our seniors competed hard in their last match for the Orange and Blue. Northwestern was too much for us to handle today."
Junior Amy Allin led the team with 23 wins this season, followed by sophomore Rachael White with 18 and freshman Allison Falkin with 17. White and Falkin boasted a team-best 18 wins in doubles, including 10 at the No. 1 spot.
Team and individual NCAA qualifiers will be released next week.
#19 Northwestern 4, Illinois 0
1. #13 Maria Mosolova (NU) def. #105 Rachael White (ILL) 6-1, 6-0
2. #75 Belinda Niu (NU) def. Amy Allin (ILL) 6-1, 6-2
3. #78 Brittany Wowchuk (NU) vs. Breanne Smutko (ILL) 6-2, 5-4, unfinished
4. Kate Turvy (NU) def. Allison Falkin (ILL) 6-4, 6-3
5. Stacey Lee (NU) vs. Annie McCarthy (ILL) 6-3, 5-5, unfinished
6. Linda Abu Mushrefova (NU) vs. Leigh Finnegan (ILL) 7-6, 2-1, unfinished
1. #11 Nida Hamilton/Linda Abu Mushrefova (NU) def. #39 Rachael White/Allison Falkin (ILL) 8-2
2. Maria Mosolova/Belinda Niu (NU) vs. Annie McCarthy/Breanne Smutko (ILL) 6-6, unfinished
3. Brittany Wowchuk/Elena Cherynakova (NU) def. Amy Allin/Chelcie Abajian (ILL) 8-5
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (1,2,4)