Junior Amy Allin captured her team-best 21st win of the season.
April 24, 2011
MADISON, Wis. - The Illinois women's tennis team (9-12, 5-5 Big Ten) dropped its regular-season finale at Wisconsin (14-10, 5-5), 4-3, Sunday afternoon at Nielsen Tennis Stadium. The Illini finished tied for fifth place with the Badgers in the conference standings, but would be the No. 6 seed in the Big Ten Tournament and will likely face the No. 11 seed.
"Needless to say we did not finish the regular season the way we hoped," head coach Michelle Dasso said. "The Big Ten Tournament represents a different season for us and I am confident we will see a new energy and determination from this team that is passionate and poised to make a run."
Sophomore Rachael White claimed her third-straight win and 17th overall to finish out the regular season victorious in seven of her last 10 matches, while junior Amy Allin collected her team-best 21st victory of the year. Both White and Allin led the team with six wins each in conference play. Sophomore Breanne Smutko added her 12th win of the year and fourth against Big Ten opponents.
Illinois will travel to Michigan next weekend for the Big Ten Tournament, April 28-May 1, in Ann Arbor. The complete tournament bracket will be released later tonight.
Wisconsin 4, Illinois 3
1. #117 Rachael White (ILL) def. Alaina Trgovich (WIS) 6-3, 6-4
2. Amy Allin (ILL) def. Nicky Stracar (WIS) 7-5, 6-7 (2-7), 7-5
3. Hannah Berner (WIS) def. Allison Falkin (ILL) 6-4, 6-2
4. Breanne Smutko (ILL) def. Jessica Seyferth (WIS) 6-1, 6-2
5. Aleksandra Markovic (WIS) def. Leigh Finnegan (ILL) 6-7 (5-7), 6-4, 7-6 (7-5)
6. Angela Chupa (WIS) def. Annie McCarthy (ILL) 2-6, 6-4, 6-3
1. Alaina Trgovich/Nicky Stracar (WIS) def. #29 Rachael White/Allison Falkin (ILL) 8-5
2. Annie McCarthy/Breanne Smutko (ILL) def. Hannah Berner/Jessica Seyferth (WIS) 8-7 (7-3)
3. Angela Chupa/Aleksandra Markovic (WIS) def. Amy Allin/Leigh Finnegan (ILL) 8-5
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (4,1,3,6,5,2)