Illini Finish Regular Season 14-9
April 20, 2014
MADISON, Wis. – After going 2-0 this weekend, the Fighting Illini women’s tennis team finished regular season play 14-9. The Orange and Blue bested Wisconsin 5-2 in their last match Sunday afternoon to finish 7-5 in the Big Ten and earn the No. 5 seed in the Big Ten Tournament next weekend.
“This weekend was a great way to end our season,” said head coach Michelle Dasso. “Doubles is clicking, which is huge. We are a tough outdoor team, and it was the first weekend we played back-to-back outdoor matches. We are excited that the Big Ten Tournament is being held at Northwestern. We have so many players from that area; it will feel like playing at home. The weather looks promising and looks like it will favor us this coming weekend.”
The Illini handedly captured the doubles point, with Allison Falkin and Julia Jamieson securing a close 8-7 win early on. Misia Kedzierski and Louise Kwong were the other match to clinch the win, beating Wisconsin’s Lauren Chypyha and Lauren Burich 8-6. Jerricka Boone and Alexis Casati also played, but did not finish.
In singles, the Illini came out strong with a win from Boone to start. The team waivered slightly with a loss from Falkin to put the Badgers on the board. Kwong fought back to win her match, but was countered with a Wisconsin win over Casati. Meliisa Kopinski sealed the deal with a 6-3 6-1 win over the Badgers’ Burich. Kedzierski also secured a win for the Illini in the No. 5 spot.
The Orange and Blue will return to action next week as a No. 5 seed at the Big Ten Tournament against No. 12 seed Nebraska at 10 a.m. CT.
Illinois 5, Wisconsin 2
1. Lauren Chypyha (WIS) def. Allison Falkin (ILL) – 6-0, 6-4
2. Anastasia Tripolskaya (WIS) def. Alexis Casati (ILL) – 6-4, 6-1
3. Melissa Kopinski (ILL) def. Lauren Burich (WIS) – 6-3, 6-1
4. Louise Kwong (ILL) def. Nova Patel (WIS) – 6-0, 6-1
5. Misia Kedzierski (ILL) def. Sydney Rider (WIS) – 6-2, 2-6, 1-0
6. Jerricka Boone (ILL) def. Becca Bailey (WIS) – 6-3, 6-0
Order of Finish: (6, 1, 4, 2, 3, 5)
1. Misia Kedzierski/Louise Kwong (ILL) def. Lauren Chypyha / Lauren Burich (WIS) – 8-6
2. Nova Patel / Anastasia Tripolskaya (WIS) vs. Jerricka Boone/Alexis Casati (ILL) - Unfinished
3. Allison Falkin/Julia Jamieson (ILL) def. Becca Bailey / Sydney Rider (WIS) – 8-7
Order of Finish: (3, 1)