Senior Rachael White clinched the Illinois victory with a straight-set win on court four.
April 19, 2013
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. - The University of Illinois women's tennis team (13-9, 6-4 Big Ten) captured its fourth straight victory with a 4-3 win over Indiana (17-7, 6-4) Friday afternoon. Sophomore Misia Kedzierski picked up her fifth consecutive win, while senior Rachael White and junior Allison Falkin each notched their fourth straight victories.
"Today was another big win for us," head coach Michelle Dasso said. "Indiana is a very strong team with wins over Duke and Michigan this year. We gutted it out, and I was so proud to see Rachael (White) clinch the win for us on senior weekend. Allison (Falkin) and Misia (Kedzierski) continue to come up huge for us in clutch situations in doubles. We'd love to have an electric environment and rowdy crowd in our last home match this Sunday."
The Illini dropped their first doubles match but quickly recovered with wins at Nos. 1 and 2. Sophomore Melissa Kopinski and White, the 25th-ranked duo in the nation, captured an 8-6 win over Alecia Kauss and Shannon Murdy on court one, and juniors Allison Falkin and Misia Kedzierski won an 8-5 bout against Leslie Hureau and Jithmie Jayawickrema at No. 2 to clinch Illinois' fourth consecutive doubles point.
Falkin, who is ranked 102nd in singles, cruised to a 6-0, 6-2 win over No. 97 Katie Klyczek on court two. No. 109 Kopinski lost on court one, but Kedzierski claimed a quick 6-1, 6-3 victory over Jayawickrema at the No. 5 spot to put Illinois one singles win away from its fourth straight dual win.
Senior Breanne Smutko stumbled on court three, but White answered with a 6-3, 6-3 victory over Sophie Garre at the No. 4 spot to clinch the win.
Illinois and Indiana are now tied for fifth in the Big Ten standings.
The Orange and Blue will return to Urbana to host Purdue for Senior Day on Sunday at Noon CT at the Khan Outdoor Tennis Complex. The Illini will honor seniors White and Smutko prior to the contest.
#47 Illinois 4, #34 Indiana 3
1. #119 Leslie Hureau (IND) def. #109 Melissa Kopinski (ILL), 6-1, 6-4
2. #102 Allison Falkin (ILL) def. #97 Katie Klyczek (IND), 6-0, 6-2
3. Alecia Kauss (IND) def. Breanne Smutko (ILL), 6-4, 6-3
4. Rachael White (ILL) def. Sophie Garre (IND), 6-3, 6-3
5. Misia Kedzierski (ILL) def. Jithmie Jayawickrema (IND), 6-1, 6-3
6. Shannon Murdy (IND) def. Julia Jamieson (ILL), 3-6, 7-5, 1-0 (10-5)
1. #25 Melissa Kopinski/Rachael White (ILL) def. Alecia Kauss/Shannon Murdy (IND), 8-6
2. Allison Falkin/Misia Kedzierski (ILL) def. Leslie Hureau/Jithmie Jayawickrema (IND), 8-5
3. Sophie Garre/Katie Klyczek (IND) def. Audrey O'Connor/Breanne Smutko (ILL), 8-5
Order of Finish: Doubles (3, 1, 2), Singles (2, 1, 5, 3, 4, 6)