Senior Breanne Smutko won in both singles and doubles action on Sunday.
April 14, 2013
UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. - The University of Illinois women's tennis team (12-9, 5-4 Big Ten) notched its second 5-2 victory of the weekend, taking down Penn State (13-6, 3-6) Sunday at the Sarni Tennis Center. The Illini captured their third straight doubles point and won four of six singles matches en route to their third consecutive dual win.
"It was a valiant team effort again today and an important weekend overall for us to pick up two road wins," head coach Michelle Dasso said. "I challenged my girls to bring consistency today, and they certainly responded with my seniors leading the pack. Allison (Falkin) gutted out some key performances in singles and doubles despite playing with a strained groin. Our complete focus now turns to being prepared to take on Indiana at their place Friday. As a whole, we are a tough team to beat outdoors and deal well with whatever elements are thrown our way."
The Illini struck first, earning the doubles point with wins at Nos. 2 and 3. Senior Breanne Smutko and freshman Audrey O'Connor led off with an 8-6 win over Marie Bedard and Jacqueline Zuhse at the No. 3 spot, but senior Rachael White and sophomore Melissa Kopinski dropped their match on court one.
In singles, Smutko finished first with a 6-4, 6-1 victory over Zuhse on court three, and Falkin followed with a 6-1, 7-6 victory over Chelsea Utting at the No. 2 spot to put the Illini one win away from their third straight dual victory.
O'Connor lost on court six, but White dominated after a set-one loss to finish off McCluskey, 4-6, 6-0, 6-0, on court four. Kedzierski added a 4-6, 6-3, 6-3 win over Sandor at No. 5 to round out the Illini scoring.
The Orange and Blue will wrap up the regular season next weekend with a pair of Big Ten showdowns. Illinois will travel to Indiana on Friday to face the Hoosiers at 2 p.m. CT in Bloomington and will return to Urbana to host Purdue on Sunday at Noon at the Khan Outdoor Tennis Complex. The match against the Boilermakers will serve as Senior Day. The Illini will honor seniors White and Smutko prior to the contest.
#59 Illinois 5, #38 Penn State 2
1. #67 Petra Januskova (PSU) def. #117 Melissa Kopinski (ILL) 7-6, 6-3
2. Allison Falkin (ILL) def. Chelsea Utting (PSU) 6-1, 7-6
3. Breanne Smutko (ILL) def. Jacqueline Zuhse (PSU) 6-4, 6-1
4. Rachael White (ILL) def. Devan McCluskey (PSU) 4-6, 6-0, 6-0
5. Misia Kedzierski (ILL) def. Carmen Sandor (PSU) 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
6. Marie Bedard (PSU) def. Audrey O'Connor (ILL) 0-6, 6-1, 6-2
1. #49 Petra Januskova/Chelsea Utting (PSU) def. #27 Rachael White/Melissa Kopinski (ILL) 8-6
2. Allison Falkin/Misia Kedzierski (ILL) def. Carmen Sandor/Devan McCluskey (PSU) 8-4
3. Audrey O'Connor/Breanne Smutko (ILL) def. Marie Bedard/Jacqueline Zuhse (PSU) 8-6
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (3,2,6,4,1,5)