Chelcie Abajian tallied a win in the Illini's 6-1 victory at Minnesota Sunday afternoon.
April 11, 2010
MINNEAPOLIS - The No. 36 Illini women's tennis team (11-7, 5-1 Big Ten) followed its big win over No. 22 Iowa with another dominating performance Sunday afternoon, claiming a 6-1 victory at Minnesota (10-10, 3-4) to move into a tie for second place with Northwestern, which also is 5-1 in the Big Ten. Michigan remains atop the standings at 6-0. Illinois has won eight of its last nine matches, including five straight in the Big Ten and four consecutive overall.
"Overall, it was a positive weekend for us," head coach Michelle Dasso said. "It was definitely a team effort today. We swept the doubles which was huge and a great momentum builder. Leigh (Finnegan) has been very consistent and taking care of business. The girls are gaining confidence and will work to prepare for Ohio State next weekend, which we've had close battles with in the past. We're looking forward to playing at home in front of a great crowd."
Illinois claimed wins on all but one court on the day and swept all three doubles matches for the fifth time in seven matches. The Illini tandem of Marisa Lambropoulos and Breanne Smutko extended their winning streak to nine matches with a 9-1 mark at No. 3 doubles, while Chelcie Abajian and Rachael White have now won seven straight and improved to 2-0 at the No. 1 position.
In singles, Smutko cruised to her fifth-straight win with a 6-1, 6-0 defeat of Magdalena Wiecha, followed by Finnegan's 6-2, 6-2 victory over Alexa Palen for her fourth consecutive win. For the second match in a row, Lambropoulos clinched the victory for the Illini with her 20th win of the season and is now just two wins away from tying her career high. Megan Fudge also picked up her 20th win, securing the fourth 20-win season of her career. She currently ranks third all-time with 94 career singles wins behind Jennifer McGaffigan (105) and Lindsey Nimmo (103). Abajian closed out the afternoon with a 6-4, 6-7 (2), 1-0 (10-4) defeat of Doron Muravnik.
The Illini return to action Saturday, April 17 against No. 30 Ohio State at noon at the Khan Outdoor Tennis Complex.
#36 Illinois 6, #60 Minnesota 1
1. #106 Megan Fudge (ILL) def. Alessandra Ferrazzi (MINN) 4-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-8)
2. Tijana Koprivica (MINN) def. Rachael White (ILL) 6-2, 2-6, 6-4
3. Marisa Lambropoulos (ILL) def. Jackie Sperling (MINN) 6-2, 6-3
4. Leigh Finnegan (ILL) def. Alexa Palen (MINN) 6-2, 6-2
5. Breanne Smutko (ILL) def. Magdalena Wiecha (MINN) 6-1, 6-0
6. Chelcie Abajian (ILL) def. Doron Muravnik (MINN) 6-4, 6-7 (2-7), 1-0 (10-4)
1. Rachael White/Chelcie Abajian (ILL) def. Alessandra Ferrazzi/Alexa Palen (MINN) 8-3
2. #50 Megan Fudge/Leigh Finnegan (ILL) def. Tijana Koprivica/Jackie Sperling (MINN) 8-4
3. Marisa Lambropoulos/Breanne Smutko (ILL) def. Mariana Spilca/Doron Muravnik (MINN) 8-3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (5,4,3,2,1,6)