Senior Rachael White teamed up with Melissa Kopinkski for an 8-0 doubles win and won in singles.
April 7, 2013
URBANA, Ill. - The Fighting Illini women's tennis team (10-9, 3-4 Big Ten) recovered after Saturday's loss to No. 8 Michigan to capture a convincing 6-1 victory over Michigan State (10-12, 0-7) Sunday afternoon at the Khan Outdoor Tennis Complex. Illinois secured the doubles point and won five singles matches en route to its third conference win of the season.
"Rachael (White) played flawless doubles today," head coach Michelle Dasso said. "When she is on, she is on. She served huge and didn't miss one return of serve. She is an exceptional doubles player and has been playing with a lot of confidence and energy as of late. Allison (Falkin) seems to quietly dismantle her opponents time and time again."
Senior Rachael White and sophomore Melissa Kopinski, the 21st-ranked duo in the nation, got the Illini off to a strong start with an 8-0 shutout against Marina Bohrer and Catherine Parenteau at the top spot in doubles. Junior tandem Allison Falkin and Misia Kedzierski followed with an 8-1 win over Michaela Silesova and Nicole Herzog at the No. 2 spot to give the Orange and Blue a 1-0 advantage.
In singles, Falkin finished first, cruising to a 6-0, 6-1 victory over Olga Chernova on court two. Kedzierski picked up her second singles win of the weekend with a quick 6-1, 6-4 decision against Emily Meyers at the No. 5 spot, and Kopinski sealed the Illini win with a 7-5, 6-3 victory over Bohrer on court one.
White added to the Illinois lead with a 7-5, 6-3 win over Herzog on court four, while freshman Julia Jamieson notched the Illini's final point of the day with a 7-5, 7-5 victory over Silesova at the No. 6 spot.
"We are on the road the next three Big Ten matches and hope to come back with the nickname, road warriors," Dasso said. "This team has reset its goals, and we are on a mission to finish the regular season strong."
The Orange and Blue will hit the road next weekend, making a stop in Columbus, Ohio, for a match with Ohio State on April 12 at 1:30 p.m. CT, before traveling to University Park, Pa., for a battle with Penn State on April 14 at 9 a.m.
#54 Illinois 6, Michigan State
1. Melissa Kopinski (ILL) def. Marina Bohrer (MSU) 7-5, 6-3
2. Allison Falkin (ILL) def. Olga Chernova (MSU) 6-0, 6-1
3. Catherine Parenteau (MSU) def. Breanne Smutko (ILL) 0-6, 7-5, (10-6)
4. Rachael White (ILL) def. Nicole Herzog (MSU) 7-5, 6-3
5. Misia Kedzierski (ILL) def. Emily Meyers (MSU) 6-1, 6-4
6. Julia Jamieson (ILL) def. Michaela Silesova (MSU) 7-5, 7-5
1. #21 Melissa Kopinski/Rachael White (ILL) def. Marina Bohrer/Catherine Parenteau (MSU) 8-0
2. Allison Falkin/Misia Kedzierski (ILL) def. Michaela Silesova/Nicole Herzog (MSU) 8-1
3. Julianna Gruber/Emily Meyers (MSU) def. Breanne Smutko/Audrey O'Connor (ILL) 8-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (2,5,1,4,6,3)