Illini Stumble in 4-3 Loss at Michigan State
April 5, 2014
EAST LANSING, Mich. - The Fighting Illini women's tennis team fought in a close match against Michigan State in East, Lansing, Mich. Saturday afternoon. After dropping the doubles point, the Illini went on to put up a fight in singles, ending in a 4-3 loss.
The Illini fell to the Spartans during doubles, winning only one match. Misia Kedzierski and Louise Kwong struggled against Faulkner/Bohrer and fell 8-4 to the duo. Alexis Casati and Allison Falkin played an extremely close match against Parenteau/Trouillot but were defeated 8-7. Jerricka Boone and Melissa Kopinski were the lone doubles win for the Illini, quickly finishing Gruber/Meyers 8-2.
In singles, Casati gave the Illini some momentum, beating Erin Faulkner in the first finished match 6-2, 6-3. Allison Falkin was second to finish, falling to Marina Bohrer 6-2, 6-3. Kwong followed with an Illini point, defeating Emily Meyers 6-4, 6-4. Kopinski's 7-6, 6-4, 6-2 loss to Catherine Parenteau tied the match at 3-3. Jerricka Boone was the last to finish, falling to Olga Chernova in a tight 7-6, 6-7, 6-4 match.
The Illini will return to action Sunday against Michigan, where the Illini will take on the Wolverines in Ann Arbor, Mich. at 11 a.m. CT.
Michigan State 4, Illinois 3,
1. Marina Bohrer (MSU) def. Allison Falkin (ILL) 6-4, 6-2
2. Alexis Casati (ILL) def. Erin Faulkner (MSU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Catherine Parenteau (MSU) def. Melissa Kopniski (ILL) 7-6, 4-6, 6-2
4. Louise Kwong (ILL) def. Emily Meyers (MSU) 6-4, 6-4
5. Olga Chernova (MSU) def. Jerricka Boone (ILL) 7-6, 6-7, 6-4
6. Misia Kedzierski (ILL) def. Athena Trouillot (MSU) 6-3, 6-1
1. Faulkner/Bohrer (MSU) def. Kedzierski/Kwong (ILL) 8-4
2. Boone/Kopinski (ILL) def. Gruber/Bohrer (MSU) 8-2
3. Parenteau/Trouillot (MSU) def. Casati/Falkin (ILL) 8-7
Order of Finish:
Singles: 2, 1, 4, 6, 3, 5
Doubles: 1, 2, 3