Junior Chelcie Abajian clinched the match for the Illini.
April 2, 2011
URBANA, Ill. - In a battle down to the final match, the Illini women's tennis team (5-8, 2-1 Big Ten) was victorious over Purdue (8-6, 2-2), 4-3, Saturday afternoon at the Khan Outdoor Tennis Complex. Junior Chelcie Abajian clinched the win for the Illini with a three-set victory at the No. 3 spot.
"I'm unbelievably proud of the competitive fire we displayed today," head coach Michelle Dasso said. "Across the board, I think we did an excellent job and showed the kind of competitiveness I know we have. It was really neat to see what happens when you bring that. We were energetic and competed our tails off and that's what you want to see as a coach in your program. Now we have a challenge to turn around and do that again tomorrow."
Illinois got off to a solid start in doubles, as it swept all three matches by a score of 8-6 to take a 1-0 advantage over the Boilermakers. In singles, junior Amy Allin collected her team-best 17th win of the season with a swift 6-1, 6-3, defeat of Jennifer Rabot. Purdue evened the score with wins at the Nos. 4 and 6 spots, before No. 96 sophomore Rachael White downed Bhavani Tirumurti, 7-6 (3), 7-5. A Boilermaker win at the No. 5 spot notched the score at 3, but Abajian held on in the final match of the day to defeat Anna Dushkina, 6-1, 6-7 (7), 6-3.
Illinois is back in action tomorrow against Indiana at 11 a.m. at the Khan Outdoor Tennis Complex.
Illinois 4, #58 Purdue 3
1. Amy Allin (ILL) def. Jennifer Rabot (PUR) 6-1, 6-3
2. #96 Rachael White (ILL) def. Bhavani Tirumurti (PUR) 7-6 (7-3), 7-5
3. Chelcie Abajian (ILL) def. Anna Dushkina (PUR) 6-1, 6-7 (1-7), 6-3
4. Mara Schmidt (PUR) def. Breanne Smutko (ILL) 6-2, 6-1
5. Imogen Golder (PUR) def. Allison Falkin (ILL) 6-7 (6-8), 7-6 (7-5), 6-2
6. Gisella Pere (PUR) def. Misia Kedzierski (ILL) 6-0, 6-4
1. #20 Rachael White/Allison Falkin (ILL) def. #38 Jennifer Rabot/Mara Schmidt (PUR) 8-6
2. Leigh Finnegan/Amy Allin (ILL) def. Gisella Pere/Anna Dushkina (PUR) 8-6
3. Annie McCarthy/Chelcie Abajian (ILL) def. Imogen Golder/Bhavani Tirumurti (PUR) 8-6
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (1,4,6,2,5,3)