Junior Rachael White clinched the Illinois victory with a two-set win at the No. 5 spot.
April 1, 2012
MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. - The 21st-ranked Fighting Illini women's tennis team (12-5, 4-1 Big Ten) secured its sixth straight win Sunday at Baseline Tennis Center, taking down No. 32 Minnesota (12-4, 2-3) in its fourth consecutive conference victory. The Orange and Blue swept doubles and won five singles matches in the 6-1 decision.
"Our doubles set the tone for the day," Illini head coach Michelle Dasso said. "Sweeping the doubles made a statement, and the girls used that momentum to keep things rolling in singles."
The Illini struck first, capturing the doubles point with their second sweep of the weekend and sixth this season. Redshirt senior Marisa Lambropoulos and freshman Melissa Kopinski started off with a convincing 8-1 victory over No. 39 Natallia Pintusava and Magdalena Wiecha on Court 1. Senior Amy Allin and Rachael White followed up with an 8-1 win over Alexa Palen and Doron Muravnik at the No. 2 spot to give the Illini a 1-0 advantage heading into singles, while sophomore Allison Falkin and senior Chelcie Abajian turned in an 8-4 win on Court 3 to complete the sweep.
The Orange and Blue success continued in singles play, as No. 124 Kopinski led off with a 7-5, 6-2 win over Pintusava on Court 2 before Allin downed Yuliana Umanets, 6-2, 6-3, on Court 4, putting the Illini in a position to clinch. White sealed the Illinois win with a quick 6-1, 6-0 decision over Tereza Brichacova at No. 5. Meanwhile, Lambropoulos added a 6-4, 6-1 win over Muravnik on Court 3, while Falkin finished off Palen with a 6-4, 4-6, 10-6 win at the top spot.
The Orange and Blue will travel to Michigan next weekend for a pair of Big Ten showdowns, facing the Wolverines on Saturday, April 7 in Ann Arbor and Michigan State on Sunday, April 8 in East Lansing. Both matches are slated to begin at 11 a.m. CT.
No. 21 Illinois 6, No. 32 Minnesota 1
1. Allison Falkin (ILL) def. Alexa Palen (MINN) 6-4, 4-6, 1-0(6)
2. No. 124 Melissa Kopinski (ILL) def. Natallia Pintusava (MINN) 7-5, 6-2
3. Marisa Lambropoulos (ILL) def. Doron Muravnik (MINN) 6-4, 6-1
4. Amy Allin (ILL) def. Yuliana Umanets (MINN) 6-2, 6-3
5. Rachael White (ILL) def. Tereza Brichacova (MINN) 6-1, 6-0
6. Julia Courter (MINN) def. Breanne Smutko (ILL) 7-5, 6-2
1. Melissa Kopinski/Marisa Lambropoulos (ILL) def. No. 39 Natallia Pintusava/Magdalena Wiecha (MINN) 8-1
2. Amy Allin/Rachael White (ILL) def. Alexa Palen/Doron Muravnik (MINN) 8-1
3. Allison Falkin/Chelcie Abajian (ILL) def. Yuliana Umanets/Tereza Brichacova (MINN) 8-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (2,4,5,3,6,1)