Megan Fudge and the Illini fall 7-0 to Northwestern.
March 31, 2007
EVANSTON, Ill. - The Illinois women's tennis team dropped a 7-0 match to 10th-ranked Northwestern today in Evanston, Ill., at the Vandy Christie Tennis Center. Unable to get anything going in doubles or singles, the Orange and Blue dropped all three doubles matches and remained cold in singles action to fall to 4-10 overall and 0-3 in Big Ten action, while Northwestern improved to 10-4 and a perfect 4-0 in league play.
"I was really proud of our underclassmen and thought they fought hard today," head coach Michelle Dasso said. "They showed a lot of heart and were able to stay competitive in their matches. When you play a top-10 team like Northwestern, that kind of effort is very promising. Now, we are looking forward to tomorrow's match against Wisconsin."
The Wildcats stormed out of the gates early, earning wins at No. 2 and 3 doubles, relinquishing just three games combined in those matches. Sealing the doubles point at No. 3, the tandem of Alexis Conill and Samantha Murray (NU) defeated junior Momei Qu and freshman Kristina Minor (ILL), 8-1, to take a 1-0 lead in the match.
In singles, the story would not improve as Illinois failed to capture a set and dropped all six singles matches to the Wildcats. Northwestern opened with a win at No. 6 singles after senior Emily Wang (ILL) retired trailing 5-0 in the first, and wrapped up the dual-match victory when No. 23 Murray (NU) took down Qu (ILL), 6-1, 6-0, at No. 2 singles to seal the win.
Illinois returns to action when it travels to Madison, Wis., to take on Wisconsin at noon (CST) at the Nielsen Tennis Stadium on Sunday, April 1.
TENNIS MATCH RESULTS
3/31/2007 AT EVANSTON, ILL.
#10 NORTHWESTERN 7, ILLINOIS 0
1. #15 Georgia Rose (NU) def. Megan Fudge (ILL) 6-3, 6-3
2. #23 Samantha Murray (NU) def. Momei Qu (ILL) 6-1, 6-0
3. Alexis Prousis (NU) def. Shivani Dave (ILL) 6-3, 6-2
4. #113 Lauren Lui (NU) def. Kristina Minor (ILL) 6-4, 6-1
5. Nazlie Ghazal (NU) def. Alejandra Meza Cuadra (ILL) 6-0, 6-0
6. Keri Robison (NU) def. Emily Wang (ILL) 5-0, retired
1. #10 Georgia Rose/Alexis Prousis (NU) def. Megan Fudge/Shivani Dave (ILL) 8-2
2. Lauren Lui/Keri Robison (NU) def. Emily Wang/Alejandra Meza Cuadra (ILL) 8-2
3. Alexis Conill/Samantha Murray (NU) def. Kristina Minor/Momei Qu (ILL) 8-1
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (6, 5, 2, 4, 3, 1)