Illini Take Down Penn State 6-1
March 29, 2014
CHAMPAIGN, Ill. – The Fighting Illini women’s tennis team captured their second Big Ten win of the season, beating Penn State on Saturday afternoon. The Orange and Blue came back after losing the doubles point to sweep the Nittany Lions in singles and come away with a 6-1 win.
“We are a strong singles squad,” said head coach Michelle Dasso. “We have the ability to be better in doubles and when we can put that together we are going to be a tough team to beat. We fully expect Ohio State to be feisty and competitive tomorrow.”
It was a close doubles point, with Allison Falkin and Julia Jamieson quickly defeating Shukow and Petruzillo 8-0. PSU retaliated with an 8-2 win over Misia Kedzierski and Alexis Casati. The point came down to Melissa Kopinski and Louise Kwong battling it out against Penn State’s Sapogova and Blik. The Illini duo fell to the Nittany Lions, losing the doubles point.
In singles, the Illini swept PSU to win the match 6-1. Kedzierski was the first to finish, blanking Petruzillo 6-0, 6-0. Kwong was not far behind, winning over Shukow 6-2, 6-1. Falkin defeated Sapogova 6-2, 6-2, Casati beat Blik 6-1, 6-4, Kopinski over Sandor 6-1, 6-4, and Jerricka Boone was the last to finish, defating Whiteaway 6-4, 6-3.
The Illini return to action tomorrow against Ohio State at noon at the Atkins Tennis Center.
Illinois 6, Penn State 1
1. Allison Falkin (ILL) def. Dasha Sapogova (PSU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Alexis Casati (ILL) def. Katia Blik (PSU) 6-1, 6-4
3. Melissa Kopinski (ILL) def. Carmen Sandor (PSU) 6-1, 6-4
4. Louise Kwong (ILL) def. Taylor Shukow (PSU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Jerricka Boone (ILL) def. Katherine Whiteaway (PSU) 6-4, 6-3
6. Misia Kedzierski (ILL) def. Lisa Petruzillo (PSU) 6-0, 6-0
1. Sapogova/Blik (PSU) def. Kopinski/Kwong (ILL) 8-7
2. Sandor/Whiteaway (PSU) def. Kedzierski/Casati (ILL) 8-2
3. Falkin/Jamieson (ILL) def. Shukow/Petruzillo (PSU) 8-0
Order of Finish
Singles: 6, 4, 1, 2, 3, 5
Doubles: 3, 2, 1