Illini Defeat Indiana 5-2
March 23, 2014
CHAMPAIGN, Ill. - The Fighting Illini women's tennis team returned indoors on Sunday to take on the Hoosiers at the Atkins Tennis Center. The Illini come out of this weekend 2-0 after a 5-2 win over the Indiana Hoosiers.
"It's huge to pick up our first Big Ten win of the season," said head coach Michelle Dasso. "We really came together as a family today. Getting that doubles point is very important and it was nice to start off with the first point. I think we played determined today and we need to bring that every time we step on the court."
The Illini captured the doubles point with wins from two Orange and Blue duos. Jerricka Boone and Louise Kwong were the first to finish, defeating Kauss/Murdy 8-3, and Misia Kedzierski and Allison Falkin defeated Fuijimoto/Garre 8-6 in the last doubles match of the day. Melissa Kopinski and Alexis Casati suffered the only doubles loss of the day, falling to Chupa/Klyczek 8-1.
In singles, Kedzierski was the first done, finishing 6-1, 6-3 over Gabrielle Rubenstein. Boone then fell to IU's Shannon Murdy in the No. 5 singles spot 6-3, 7-6. Casati held on to the Illini lead, beating Sophie Garre 6-4, 6-4. Kopinski clinched the match for the Illini in a thrilling 2-6, 6-1, 7-5 finish over Carolyn Chupa in the No. 3 singles slot. Falkin battled Hoosier Katie Klyczek at No. 1 and came out on top 6-4, 6-4. Kwong was the last to finish for the Illini, falling to Indiana's Alecia Kauss 6-3, 7-6.
The Illini will return to action next weekend, hosting Penn State and Ohio State on March 29 and 30. The Orange and Blue will play at 11 a.m. and noon, respectively.
Illinois 5, Indiana 2
1. Allison Falkin (ILL) def. Katie Klyczek (IND) 6-4, 6-4
2. Alexis Casati (ILL) def. Sophie Garre (IND) 6-4, 6-4
3. Melissa Kopinski (ILL) def. Carolyn Chupa (IND) 2-6, 6-1, 7-5
4. Alecia Kauss (IND) def. Louise Kwong (ILL) 6-3, 7-6
5. Shannon Murdy (IND) def. Jerricka Boone (ILL) 6-3, 7-6
6. Misia Kedzierski (ILL) def. Gabrielle Rubenstein (IND) 6-1, 6-3
1. Chupa/Klyczek (IND) def. Kopinski/Casati (ILL) 8-1
2. Falkin/Kedzierski (ILL) vs. Fujimoto/Garre 8-6
3. Boone/Kwong (ILL) def. Kauss/Murdy 8-3
Order of Finish:
Singles: 6, 5, 2, 3, 1, 4
Doubles: 3, 1, 2