Senior Breanne Smutko won in doubles and was the lone singles winner for the Illini on Sunday.
March 10, 2013
IOWA CITY, Iowa - Despite capturing the doubles point, the Fighting Illini women's tennis team (6-7, 0-3 Big Ten) dropped a 5-2 decision at Iowa (6-5, 1-2) on Sunday, marking Illinois' third straight loss. Senior Breanne Smutko was the lone Orange and Blue singles winner for the second time this weekend after starting the day with a convincing victory alongside freshman Audrey O'Connor in doubles.
"The Hawkeyes won today because they wanted it more and played with more spirit," head coach Michelle Dasso said. "I give a huge credit to their players and coaching staff. We rested on our laurels after winning the doubles point, and with how strong the conference has become, you have to be fully invested in every match and be willing to dig deeper than the team you are competing against. Today was disappointing on many levels."
Illinois notched its first doubles point in three matches with wins at Nos. 1 and 2. Smutko and O'Connor cruised to an 8-1 win over Christina Harazin and Shelby Cott at the No. 2 spot, while No. 22 Melissa Kopinski and Rachael White knocked off No. 42 Ruth Seaborne and Morven McCulloch, 8-6, at the top spot to secure the point.
The Illini struggled in singles, dropping the first four completed contests to hand Iowa the dual victory. Smutko helped the Illini avoid the singles sweep for the second straight match with a 7-6, 6-2 win over Harazin on court four.
This marks Illinois' first loss when winning the doubles point this season. Going into the match, the Illini boasted a perfect 6-0 record when winning in doubles.
The Orange and Blue will take a week off before heading west to take on Oklahoma State on Tuesday, March 19 at 2 p.m. CT in San Diego, Calif.
Iowa 5, #37 Illinois 2
1. Ruth Seaborne (IOWA) def. #120 Melissa Kopinski (ILL), 6-2, 6-3
2. Shelby Talcott (IOWA) def. Allison Falkin (ILL), 7-5, 6-0
3. Morven McCulloch (IOWA) def. Rachael White (ILL), 6-3, 6-0
4. Breanne Smutko (ILL) def. Christina Harazin (IOWA), 7-6, 6-2
5. Katie Zordani (IOWA) def. Misia Kedzierski (ILL), 3-6, 6-2, (10-3)
6. Caitlin Hindmarsh (IOWA) def. Audrey O'Connor (ILL), 6-0, 6-3
1. #22 Melissa Kopinski/Rachael White (ILL) def. #42 Ruth Seaborne/Morven McCulloch (IOWA), 8-6
2. Audrey O'Connor/Breanne Smutko (ILL) def. Christina Harazin/Shelby Talcott (IOWA), 8-1
3. Allison Falkin/Julia Jamieson (ILL) vs. Caitlin Hindmarsh/Katie Zordani (IOWA), 6-6, unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (3,6,1,2,4,5)