Illini Drop Match against Purdue 5-2
March 9, 2014
West Lafayette, Ind. – The Fighting Illini women’s tennis team closed out the weekend with a 5-2 loss against Purdue in West Lafayette, Ind. on Sunday afternoon. Alexis Casati and Jerricka Boone put up a fight against the Boilermakers in singles with the two Illini wins of the day.
“Obviously, this isn't how we had hoped to start the Big Ten season,” said head coach Michelle Dasso. “The only thing we can do now is reevaluate, work harder, and use this as motivation to reinvent ourselves for the second half of our season.”
It was a rough day for the Illini in doubles, Kopinski/Casati finishing first, dropping their match against Schmidt/Kapitany 8-1. Kedzierski/Kwong were the only other duo to finish their doubles match, losing to Vidal/Davila 8-4. Boone/Falkin began but did not finish their match, as Purdue clinched the doubles point.
In singles, the Illini couldn’t come back to win the match. After starting off the match strong, Misia Kedzierski dropped her match against Kapitany 7-5, 6-1. Melissa Kopinski, Louise Kwong, and Allison Falkin also suffered losses in singles. Alexis Casati had a strong match, beating Purdue’s Nicole Robinson 6-2, 6-4. Jerricka Boone followed suit, defeating Andjela Djokovic 2-6, 6-4, 6-4.
The Orange and Blue return to action March 21 against Southern Illinois at 4 p.m. at the Atkins Tennis Center.
Purdue 5, Illinois 2
1) Daniela Vidal (PUR) def. Allison Falkin (ILL) 6-3, 7-5 (4th finish)
2) Mara Schmidt (PUR) def. Kopinski (ILL) 7-5, 6-3 (2nd finish)
3) Alexis Casati (ILL) def. Nicole Robinson (PUR) 6-2, 6-4 (3rd finish)
4) T. Bernard-Feigenbaum (PUR) def. Louise Kwong (ILL) 6-0, 1-6, 6-4 (6th finish)
5) Krisztina Kapitany (PUR) def. Misia Kedzierski (ILL) 7-5, 6-1 (1st finish)
6) Jerricka Boone (ILL) def. Adjela Djokovic (PUR) 2-6, 6-4, 6-4 (5th finish)
1) Schmidt/Kapitany (PUR) def. Kopinski & Casati (ILL) 8-1 (1st finish)
2) Vidal/Divila (PUR) def. Kedzierski/Kwong (ILL) 8-4 (2nd finish)
3) Robinson/ Bernard-Feigenbaum (PUR) vs. Boone/Falkin (ILL) (DNF)