Illini Stumble in 7-0 loss to Northwestern
March 8, 2014
CHAMPAIGN, Ill. - The Fighting Illini women's tennis team suffered a 7-0 loss to No. 8 Northwestern Saturday at the Atkins Tennis Center. Misia Kedzierski and Louise Kwong were the only Illini players to come out with a win in either doubles or singles.
"Today was not a positive day," said head coach Michelle Dasso. "We need to play much better tomorrow."
Two Illini duos fell in doubles play to drop the doubles point. Kopinski/Casati lost to Corning/Barnett 8-2, and Falking/Boone lost 8-5 to Rischbieth/Niu. While the Illini were swept in terms of score, Kedzierski/Kwong came out strong in doubles play, defeating Hamilton/Lipp 8-3 for the lone Illini win of the day.
In singles, the Illini had tough losses across the board. Louise Kwong kept her doubles momentum going, taking her first set against Manon Peri to a tiebreak.
The Orange and Blue return to action tomorrow at Purdue at 11 a.m. CT.
#8 Northwestern 7, Illinois 0
1) Veronica Corning (NU) def. Falkin 6-2, 6-3 (2nd finish)
2) Belinda Niu (NU) def. Kopinski 6-2, 6-1 (1st finish)
3) Alicia Barnett (NU) def. Casati 6-4, 6-2 (6th finish)
4) Manon Peri (NU) def. Kwong 6-5 (7-5), 6-2 (5th finish)
5) Jillian Rooney (NU) def. Kedzierski 6-3, 6-3 (4th finish)
6) Nida Hamilton (NU) def. Boone 6-3, 6-1 (3rd finish)
1) Veronica Corning & Alicia Barnett (NU) def. Kopinski & Casati 8-2
2) Kedzierski & Kwong def. Nida Hamilton & Maddie Lipp (NU) 8-3 (2nd finish)
3) Brooke Rischbieth & Belinda Niu (NU) def. Falkin & Boone 8-5 (3rd finish)