Senior Megan Fudge topped No. 57 Holly Cao, 6-4, 6-3.
Feb. 28, 2010
URBANA, Ill. - The No. 39 Illini women's tennis team (4-6) concluded the weekend with a solid 5-2 victory over No. 53 Harvard (5-4) Sunday afternoon at Atkins Tennis Center. After sweeping all three doubles matches, Illinois wasted no time clinching the match with three consecutive victories in straight sets at the Nos. 5, 6 and 2 positions.
"It was an oustanding day for us across the board," head coach Michelle Dasso said. "Sweeping the doubles was a step in the right direction and we battled on all courts in singles. Unfortunately we lost two of them, but their opponents really earned it and played well at the end. Overall, I thought doubles looked great this weekend we liked what we saw with the different combos. I think they're clicking because they're complementing each other well. We've been working a lot on doubles and movement and being in the right position and I think that was the main key in our doubles success this weekend."
Sophomore Chelcie Abajian and freshman Rachael White cruised to an 8-0 victory over Kristin Norton and Samantha Rosekrans and junior Marisa Lambropoulos and freshman Breanne Smutko followed shortly after, topping Alexandra Lehman and Samantha Gridley, 8-3 to clinch the doubles point. Senior Megan Fudge and junior Leigh Finnegan made it a clean sweep with their second straight victory, as they defeated Holly Cao and Hideko Tachibana, 8-4.
In singles, Finnegan picked up right where she left off Friday night and swiftly topped Lehman, 6-3, 6-1, while Smutko defeated Gridley, 6-3, 6-2 for her 12th win of the season and No. 85 White clinched the match with a 6-4, 7-5 victory over No. 115 Tachibana. Fudge picked up the final win of the day for the Illini and her 13th overall, as she topped No. 57 Cao, 6-4, 6-3.
The Illini will compete on outdoor courts for the first time since mid-January when they travel to No. 32 TCU for a match next Sunday, March 7 at Noon CT.
#39 Illinois 5, #53 Harvard 2
1. Megan Fudge (ILL) def. #57 Holly Cao (HARV) 6-4, 6-3
2. #85 Rachael White (ILL) def. #115 Hideko Tachibana (HARV) 6-4, 7-5
3. Kristin Norton (HARV) def. Marisa Lambropoulos (ILL) 6-4, 6-4
4. Samantha Rosekrans (HARV) def. Chelcie Abajian (ILL) 6-4, 0-6, 7-5
5. Leigh Finnegan (ILL) def. Alexandra Lehman (HARV) 6-3, 6-1
6. Breanne Smutko (ILL) def. Samantha Gridley (HARV) 6-3, 6-2
1. Megan Fudge/Leigh Finnegan (ILL) def. Holly Cao/Hideko Tachibana (HARV) 8-4
2. Rachael White/Chelcie Abajian (ILL) def. Kristin Norton/Samantha Rosekrans (HARV) 8-0
3. Breanne Smutko/Marisa Lambropoulos (ILL) def. Alexandra Lehman/Samantha Gridley (HARV) 8-3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (5,6,2,3,1,4)