Junior Megan Fudge is now 8-0 in dual matches this season.
Feb. 21, 2009
BOSTON, Mass. - The No. 33 Illinois women's tennis team downed Harvard 5-2, this afternoon at the Murr Center Tennis Courts in Boston, Mass. With the win, the Illini improved their winning streak to four and have an overall record of 6-2 on the season.
"Overall, it was great to string together a victory today, especially in the absence of Amy Allin, who was sidelined with a minor injury this week," head coach Michelle Dasso said. "However, it shows the amount of depth that our team has this year and hopefully we can carry that momentum into tomorrow when we face a tough Boston College team."
In doubles, the Orange and Blue pulled out wins at Nos. 1 and 3 to secure the crucial doubles point. At No. 1 doubles the Illinois tandem of Chelcie Abajian and Leigh Finnegan defeated Harvard's Laura Peterzan and Samantha Rosekrans, 8-5. At No. 3 doubles, Annie McCarthy and Shivani Davé teamed up for the Orange and Blue, taking down Harvard's Camille Jania and Samantha Gridley, 8-4.
In singles, junior Megan Fudge continued her impressive play so far this season, improving to a perfect 8-0 in dual matches with a straight sets victory over Harvard's Laura Peterzan, 6-1, 6-3. Another Illini junior Kristina Minor also notched a victory for Illinois, taking down the Crimson's Samantha Gridley, 6-3, 6-2 at No. 6 singles.
Senior Shivani Davé kept her unblemished record intact in dual matches this season, improving to 3-0 with a straight sets win over Harvard's Agnes Sibilski, 6-3, 6-4, at No. 5 singles. Rounding out the Illini victories on the day was freshman Chelcie Abajian at No. 4 singles. Abajian took the first set, 6-4, over Harvard's Samantha Rosekrans. Rosekrans edged out Abajian in the second set to force a third set. In the deciding set, with the Illini having already clinched match victory, the two played out a super tiebreaker, where it was all Abajian, as she easily rolled to a 1-0 (10-6) win in the third set.
Illinois wraps up the east coast road trip tomorrow when it takes on Boston College. Match time is set for 9 a.m. CT.
#33 Illinois 5, Harvard 2
Feb. 21, 2009
Murr Center Tennis Courts
1) Chelcie Abajian / Leigh Finnegan (ILL) def. Laura Peterzan / Samantha Rosekrans (HAR) 8-5
2) Beier Ko / Agnes Sibilski (HAR) def. Megan Fudge / Marisa Lambropoulos (ILL) 8-7 (11-9)
3) Annie McCarthy / Shivani Davé (ILL) def. Camille Jania / Samantha Gridley (HAR) 8-4
1) #52 Beier Ko (HAR) def. Leigh Finnegan (ILL) 6-4, 6-4
2) Megan Fudge (ILL) def. Laura Peterzan (HAR) 6-1, 6-3
3) Camille Jania (HAR) def. Marisa Lambropoulos (ILL) 7-5, 6-1
4) Chelcie Abajian (ILL) def. Samantha Rosekrans (HAR) 6-4, 5-7, 1-0 (10-6)
5) Shivani Davé (ILL) def. Agnes Sibilski (HAR) 6-3, 6-4
6) Kristina Minor (ILL) def. Samantha Gridley (HAR) 6-3, 6-2