Illini Drop 4-3 Decision at Wichita State
WICHITA, Kan. - The Fighting Illini women's tennis team suffered a 4-3 loss to Wichita State Sunday afternoon at Wichita Country Club. Kopinski/Casati picked up the lone doubles win, defeating Kovalova/Blaskova 6-3.
"Hats off to Wichita State," said head coach Michelle Dasso. "They are a feisty, well coached group that capitalized on our injuries and illness today. Doubles is so key in college tennis and we simply need to find a way to put the first point on the board."
The Orange and Blue battled in doubles, with Kopinski/Casati picking up their win, and Falkin/Boone and Kedzierski/Kwong falling 6-3 6-4, respectively.
The Illini started strong in singles, with Louise Kwong quickly defeating Veronika Blaskova 6-2, 6-1. Melissa Kopinski then dropped her match against Julia Schiller 6-4, 4-6, 10-6. Alexis Casati kept the Illini in the running with a 3-6, 6-4, 10-2 win over Lucia Kovalova. Allison Falkin continued the upward trend with a win over Rebecca Pedrazzi 2-6, 7-5, 13-11. Unfortunately for Illinois, Jerricka Boone and Julia Jamieson could not continue the streak and lost 7-6 (7-4) 6-2, and 6-1, 6-3, respectively.
The Illini return to action against Wake Forest Saturday, Feb. 15 at noon at the Atkins Tennis Center.
Wichita State 4, #42 Illinois 3
1. Jula Schiller (WSU) def. Melissa Kopinski (ILL) 6-4, 4-6, 10-6
2. Allison Falkin (ILL) def. Rebecca Pedrazzi (WSU) 2-6, 7-5, 13-11
3. Alexis Casati (ILL) def. Lucia Kovalova (WSU) 3-6, 6-4, 10-2
4. Abby Stevens (WSU) def. Jerricka Boone (ILL) 7-6 (7-4) 6-2
5. Louise Kwong (ILL) def. Veronika Blaskova (WSU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Montse Fernandez (WSU) def. Julia Jamieson (ILL) 6-1, 6-3
1. Kopinski/Casati (ILL) def. Kovalova/Blaskova (WSU) 6-3
2. Pedrazzi/Fernandez (WSU) def. Boone/Falkin (ILL) 6-3
3. Stevens/Schiller (WSU) def. Kedzierski/Kwong (ILL)6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (5,1,3,2,4,6)