Illini return to action Sunday against the Wichita State Shockers
Feb. 8, 2014
NORMAN, Okla. - The Fighting Illini women's tennis team suffered a 5-2 loss to No. 28 Oklahoma Saturday afternoon at Headington Family Tennis Center. Freshmen Alexis Casati and Louise Kwong came away with the only Illini wins of the day.
"Oklahoma has an athletic team and I doubt they will lose many doubles points this season," said head coach Michelle Dasso. "Alexis and Louise stayed in the present, mentally finishing off their matches which is great to see from your freshmen."
The Orange and Blue struggled in doubles, only picking up four games across the three sets. Kopinski/Casati and Boone/Falkin fell to the Sooners 6-1, and Kedzierski/Kwong battled in a 5-2 match that went unfinished.
The Illini tried to fight back in singles, with Alexis Casati winning her match 6-3, 6-4. Melissa Kopinski and Allison Falkin both fell to their opponents 6-2, 6-2 and 6-2, 6-1, respectively. Senior Misia Kedzierski attempted a comeback in her second set, but lost 6-1, 7-5. At No. 5 and No. 6 respectively, Jerricka Boone and Louise Kwong played hard and were the last two matches to finish. Kwong took her match against OU's Emma Devine to a tiebreaker for the win (6-3, 5-7, 10-8). Boone was the last to finish, battling to the last point of a 7-5, 6-4 loss.
"We need to let today go and play with more confidence and spirit tomorrow," said Dasso.
The Illini return to action tomorrow, Sunday Feb. 9 at Wichita State to take on the Shockers at 10 a.m. CT.
#28 Oklahoma 5, #42 Illinois 2
1. Hermon Brhane (OU) def. Allison Falkin (ILL) 6-2, 6-2
2. Whitney Ritchie (OU) def. Melissa Kopinski (ILL) 6-2, 6-1
3. Alexis Casati (ILL) def. Morgan Chumney (OU) 6-3, 6-4
4. Mia Lancaster (OU) def. Misia Kedzierski (ILL) 6-1, 7-5
5. Abbi Melrose (OU) def. Jerricka Boone (ILL) 7-5, 6-4
6. Louise Kwong (ILL) def. Emma Devine (OU) 6-3, 5-7, 1-0 (10-8)
1. Lancaster/Ritchie (OU) def. Kopinski/Casati (ILL) 6-1
2. Devine/Chumney (OU) def. Boone/Falkin (ILL) 6-1
3. Brhane/Wofford (OU) def. Kedzierksi/Kwong 5-2 (ILL) 5-2, unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (2,3,1,4,6,5)