Illini Suffer 4-3 Loss at #23 Notre Dame
Jan. 31, 2014
SOUTH BEND, Ind.- The Fighting Illini women's tennis team suffered a 4-3 loss to No. 23 Notre Dame Friday afternoon at Eck Tennis Pavillion. This marks the first loss for the Illini this season.
"It couldn't have been a closer match. We played some exciting college tennis today," said Head Coach Dasso. "Doubles point came down to the last match and singles had tie breakers. We battled and laid it on the line against a top-25 team. Casati played some big tennis today against a very good Notre Dame player, and we played big tennis all across the board."
In doubles, Allison Falkin and Jerricka Boone were the first duo done, quickly defeating #26 Kellner and Robinson 6-2. Kopinski and Casati put up a fight during their doubles match against No. 30 Gleason and Sanders, but ultimately lost 7-5.
In singles, Alexis Casati, Misia Kedzierski, and Louise Kwong all picked up wins. Kedzierski's was the first win of singles, defeating Notre Dame's Mary Closs 6-4, 6-2. Kwong finished shortly after, beating Julie Sabacinski 6-1, 5-7, 1-0. Casati was the last Illini win, topping Jennifer Kellner 7-5, 6-4. "I think we gained a lot of confidence today," Said Dasso.
"We just need to be ready to perform on Sunday against a very good TCU team."
The Orange and Blue will return to action on Sunday at home. The Illini will face the TCU Horned Frogs at 11 a.m. CT at the Atkins Tennis Center.
Illinois 3, Notre Dame 4
1. Britney Sanders (ND) def. Melissa Kopinski (ILL) 6-4, 3-6, 1-0
2. #67 Quinn Gleason (ND) def. Allison Falkin (ILL) 6-3, 3-6, 1-0
3. Alexis Casati (ILL) def. Jennifer Kellner (ND) 7-5, 6-4
4. Misia Kedzierski (ILL) def. Mary Closs (ND) 6-4, 6-2
5. Julie Vrabel (ND) def. Jerricka Boone (ILL) 6-4, 6-3
6. Louise Kwong (ILL) def. Julie Sabacinski (ND) 6-1, 5-7, 1-0
1. #30 Quinn Gleason/Britney Sanders (ND) def. Melissa Kopinski/Alexis Casati (ILL) 7-5
2. Allison Falkin/Jerricka Boone (ILL) def. #26 Jennifer Kellner/Monica Robinson (ND) 6-2
3. Julie Sabacinski/Mary Closs (ND) def. Misia Kedzierski/Louise Kwong (ILL) 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (4,5,6,1,3,2)