The Illini travel to Notre Dame on Friday
Jan. 26, 2014
URBANA, Ill.- The Fighting Illini women's tennis team remained undefeated as they cruised to a 7-0 win over Illinois State this afternoon. The match against UIC at 11 a.m. was cancelled due to inclement weather.
"We came out to practice and got a good 45 minute hit in this morning just to stay fresh," said head coach Michelle Dasso. "I think they did a good job adjusting to the change of schedule."
In doubles, the Illini went 2-1. Misia Kedzierski and Louise Kwong defeated ISU's Emmie Marx and Ashton Nisbet 6-0, the Kopinski/Casati duo defeated Heather Nisbet and Kadi Ilves 6-3, and the only Illini defeat of the night came from Phyllis Tigges and Madeline Baillon over Allison Falkin and Jerricka Boone. Baillon is originally from Champaign and played hard in front of her hometown.
"Maddie Baillon played lights out in doubles back in her home town, so hats off to her," said Dasso.
While the Illini went 6-0, the matches were closer in singles play with two matches going to tie-breaks. Jerricka Boone defeated Carolina Abello in a tight match, going 7-5, 6-6 (8-6). Misia Kedzierski had another close match, beating Kadi Ilves 7-6 (7-3), 6-4 in a competitive first set.
"Misia's experience as a senior leader competing in all the matches was instrumental for us this weekend," said Coach Dasso. "We rely on her consistent positive energy and vocal spirit to set the tone in dual match settings."
"My assistant Ric Mortera has done an amazing job getting our players mentally in a good place and ready for battle. We will certainly be tested next weekend but we are looking forward to the challenges ahead of us."
The Orange and Blue will return to action on Friday when they head on the road to face Notre Dame that afternoon at 2:30 CT. The Illini will return to the Atkins Tennis center on Sunday, Feb. 2 to play TCU at 11 a.m. CT.
Illinois 7, Illinois State 0
1. Melissa Kopinski (ILL) def. Emmie Marx (ISU) 6-2, 6-0
2. Alexis Casati (ILL) def. Phyllis Tigges (ISU) 6-3, 6-1
3. Jerricka Boone (ILL) def. Carolina Abello (ISU) 7-5, 6-6 (8-6)
4. Misia Kedzierski (ILL) def. Kadi Ilves (ISU) 7-6 (7-3), 6-4
5. Louise Kwong (ILL) def. Madeline Baillon (ISU) 6-0, 6-2
6. Julia Jamieson (ILL) def. Gabby Phillips (ISU) 6-1, 6-2
1. Phyllis Tigges/Madeline Baillon (ISU) def. Allison Falkin/Jerricka Boone (ILL) 6-1
2. Melissa Kopinski/Alexis Casati (ILL) def. Heather Nisbet/Kadi Ilves (ISU) 6-3
3. Misia Kedzierski/Louise Kwong (ILL) def. Emmie Marx/AshtonNisbet (ISU) 6-0
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1) Singles (1,6,2,5,4,3)