Julia Jamieson celebrates a win
Jan. 24, 2014
URBANA, Ill.- The Fighting Illini women's tennis team cruised to a pair of wins this Friday, downing Saint Louis University and University of Chicago in home-opening action at the Atkins Tennis Center. The Orange and Blue had quick 7-0 shutouts over SLU and UChicago.
"It was a solid day for us," says head coach Michelle Dasso. "It's a good start to our dual match season. I think in general we've had a very good week in practice, and I think that's always so key and important. The girls showed a lot of discipline and good decision making out there today."
In the first match, senior Misia Kedzierski and freshman Louise Kwong swept the Billiken duo Natalia Yacaman and Brooke Urzendowski 6-0. The two other Illini doubles pairs of Kopinski/Casati and Falkin/Jamieson also won their matches 6-1 and 6-2, respectively.
The Fighting Illini dominated in singles play, with Kopinski finishing first over SLU's Aspen Cervin 6-1, 6-1 at the top spot. Julia Jamieson avoided a tiebreaker and clinched the Illini shutout, defeating Madeline Joy 6-1, 6-4.
In the second match, Kedzierski and Kwong were the first doubles team done, defeating Megan Tang and Helen Sdvizhkov 6-3. Julia Jamieson and Emily Barretta were defeated by Jordan Appel and Stephanie Lee, in the only loss of the day for the Illini.
Alexis Casati won a tie-breaker against Helen Sdvizhkov after the first two matches went on to clinch the Illini sweep of the day.
"We've just got to maintain that and continue to improve on the little things," says Dasso. "All-in-all I like the focus out there and they handled the new format well. The girls played with some energy and we've just got to have a good practice, take care of our bodies, and be ready for Sunday"
The Orange and Blue will return to action on Sunday with another double-header. The Illini will face the UIC flames at 11 a.m. CT, and the Illinois State Redbirds at 4 p.m. CT at the Atkins Tennis Center.
Illinois 7, Saint Louis 0
1. Melissa Kopinski (ILL) def. Aspen Cervin (SLU) 6-1, 6-1
2. Allison Falkin (ILL) def. Stephanie Hollis (SLU) 6-2, 6-0
3. Alexis Casati (ILL) def. Natalia Yacaman (SLU) 6-2, 6-0
4. Misia Kedzierski (ILL) def. Brooke Urzendowski (SLU) 6-1, 6-2
5. Louise Kwong (ILL) def. Maria Toro Moreno (SLU) 6-2, 6-0
6. Julia Jamieson (ILL) def. Madeline Jolly (SLU) 6-1, 6-4
1. Melissa Kopinski/Alexis Casati (ILL) def. Aspen Cervin/Stephanie Hollis (SLU) 6-1
2. Misia Kedzierski/Louise Kwong (ILL) def. Natalia Yacaman/Brooke Urzendowski (SLU) 6-0
3. Allison Falkin/Julia Jamieson (ILL) def. Maria Toro Moreno/Taylor Monken (SLU) 6-2
Illinois 7, Chicago 0
1. Melissa Kopinski (ILL) def. Megan Tang (UC) 6-2, 6-1
2. Alexis Casati (ILL) def. Helen Sdvizhkov (UC) 2-6, 6-0, 10-4
3. Misia Kedzierski (ILL) def. Tiffany Chen (UC) 6-3, 6-4
4. Louise Kwong (ILL) def. Kelsey McGillis (UC) 6-1, 6-0
5. Julia Jamieson (ILL) def. Sruthi Ramaswami (UC) 6-2, 6-1
6. Emily Barretta (ILL) def. Jordan Appel (UC) 6-2, 6-3
1. Melissa Kopinski/Alexis Casati (ILL) def. Megan Tang/HelenSdvizhkov (UC) 6-3
2. Misia Kedzierski/Louise Kwong (ILL) def. Sruthi Ramaswami/Tiffany Chen (UC) 6-2
3. Jordan Appel/Stephanie Lee (UC) def. Julia Jamieson/Emily Barretta (ILL) 6-3