Senior Megan Fudge picked up wins in singles and doubles.
Jan. 24, 2010
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - The No. 33 Illini women's tennis team (0-2) concluded its road trip with a 4-3 loss at No. 26 Virginia (1-0) Sunday afternoon at Boyd Tinsley Courts. Senior Megan Fudge led the way with a victory at No. 2 singles and teamed up with freshman Breanne Smutko to avoid the sweep in doubles play.
"The key for us right now is doubles, " head coach Michelle Dasso said. "We started out pretty lackluster and didn't look ready to play. We didn't play with enough passion and energy. We're right there, but we have to win that doubles point. Megan did a phenomenal job battling back to win the tiebreaker in singles. She played with the passion and energy we need."
Fudge and Smutko got things going for the Illini in doubles action, recording a hard-fought victory over Neela Vaez and Hana Tomljanovic, 8-7 (7-2), before Fudge rallied back to defeat Emily Fraser, 3-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-6) in singles. Junior Marisa Lambropoulos and sophomore Chelcie Abajian each tallied their second straight wins of the weekend, as Lambropoulos topped Katie Gater, 6-2, 6-2, and Abajian defeated Jennifer Stevens, 7-5, 6-4.
The Illini will return to the East Coast next weekend, as they compete in the ITA Kick-Off Weekend in Clemson, S.C., beginning Saturday, Jan. 30 against No. 21 Ole Miss at 8 a.m. CT.
#26 Virginia 4, #33 Illinois 3
1. #72 Lindsey Hardenbergh (UVa) def. #33 Rachael White (ILL), 6-4, 6-2
2. Megan Fudge (ILL) def. Emily Fraser (UVa), 3-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-6)
3. Erin Vierra (UVa) def. Leigh Finnegan (ILL), 6-2, 6-1
4. Chelcie Abajian (ILL) def. Jennifer Stevens (UVa), 7-5, 6-4
5. Hana Tomljanovic (UVa) def. Breanne Smutko (ILL), 6-4, 6-2
6. Marisa Lambropoulos (ILL) def. Katie Gater (UVa), 6-2, 6-2
1. Emily Fraser/Jennifer Stevens (UVa) def. Chelcie Abajian/Leigh Finnegan (ILL), 8-4
2. Lindsey Hardenbergh/Erin Vierra (UVa) def. Rachael White/Marisa Lambropoulos (ILL), 8-5
3. Megan Fudge/Breanne Smutko (ILL) def. Neela Vaez/Hana Tomljanovic (UVa), 8-7 (7-2)
Order of Finish: Doubles (2, 1, 3); Singles (3, 6, 1, 4, 5, 2)