Sophomore Julia Jamieson won her opening set in singles play on Sunday.
Jan. 13, 2013
CORAL GABLES, Fla. - The 24th-ranked University of Illinois women's tennis team (0-1) started its season with a 7-0 loss to No. 9 Miami (2-0) on Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center. Sophomore Julia Jamieson was the lone Illini to force a third set, eventually losing a 2-6, 6-2, (10-5) thriller to Clementina Riobueno at the No. 5 spot.
"All of our singles matches were competitive against a top-10 program, which is encouraging," head coach Michelle Dasso said. "Our doubles play was not close to our standard, but I feel that will be a quick turnaround for us. Miami is a very good program, and to have the opportunity to play there in 85-degree weather in our first dual of the season is going to make us a tougher team and help us down the road. It was also really nice to see Julia snag the first set from her opponent."
The Illini got off to a rough start in doubles, dropping matches at Nos. 1 and 2 to put themselves in a 1-0 hole going into singles play.
The Orange and Blue could not recover, losing all six singles matches, including three to nationally ranked opponents. Junior Allison Falkin, who is ranked 59th in the nation, suffered a 6-3, 6-2 loss to No. 57 Lina Lileikite on court one, while senior Rachael White fell to No. 51 Kelsey Laurente, 6-2, 6-2, on court three. Fellow senior Breanne Smutko came up short in a 7-6, 6-2 battle to No.92 Stephanie Wagner on court four.
The Illini will return to action next weekend to open their home schedule with three matches at the Atkins Tennis Center, hosting Illinois State (3 p.m.) and Western Illinois (7 p.m.) on Jan. 18 and No. 19 Notre Dame on Jan. 20 at Noon.
1. #57 Lina Lileikite (Miami) def. #59 Allison Falkin (Illinois) 6-3, 6-2
2. Melissa Bolivar (Miami) def. #106 Melissa Kopinski (Illinois) 6-3, 7-5
3. #51 Kelsey Laurente (Miami) def. Rachael White (Illinois) 6-2, 6-2
4. #92 Stephanie Wagner (Miami) def. Breanne Smutko (Illinois) 7-6, 6-2
5. Clementina Riobueno (Miami) def. Julia Jamieson (Illinois) 2-6, 6-2, (10-5)
6. Deborah Suarez (Miami) def. Audrey O'Connor (Illinois) 6-2, 6-4
1. Melissa Bolivar/Clementina Riobueno (Miami) def. #11 Rachael White/Melissa Kopinski (Illinois) 8-2
2. Lina Lileikite/Stephanie Wagner (Miami) def. Julia Jamieson/Allison Falkin (Illinois) 8-0
3. Kelsey Laurente/Brittany Dubins (Miami) def. Breanne Smutko/Audrey O'Connor, unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (3,1,2,6,4,5)