FightingIllini.com

The Official Home of University of Illinois Athletics

    Women's Soccer

    DiBernardo Up for Soccer News Net College Boot
    DiBernardo, who became the 1st Illini to take home the College Boot Award last year, is once again up for the prestigious honor.

    DiBernardo, who became the 1st Illini to take home the College Boot Award last year, is once again up for the prestigious honor.

    Nov. 30, 2012

    Voting Page | SoccerNews Release

    CHAMPAIGN, Ill. - Soccer News Net announced University of Illinois junior midfielder Vanessa DiBernardo as a candidate for the College Boot Award. DiBernardo is one of the top-37 Division-I women's soccer players in the nation up for the award that recognizes the player of the year. Vanessa is acquainted with the award for she became the first Illini to earn the prestigious honor last season in it's now six-year history. 

    The editors of each of the sites in the Soccer News Net network nominated up to four local players for the award, each of which will be eligible for the regional player of the year award as well. The nominations included athletes playing at colleges within each site's coverage area, as well as athletes from the area playing collegiately elsewhere in the country. Nine additional at-large selections rounded out the nominations. 

    Vanessa DiBernardo is part of the quartet representing the Chicagoland Soccer News area along with Marquette senior Aly Miller, Notre Dame freshman Cari Roccaro and Illinois State sophomore Rachel Tejada.

    DiBernardo now has three nominations/honors on the week after previously claiming Second-Team All-Upperclassmen by Top Drawer Soccer and being named a finalist in U.S. Soccer's Young Female Athlete of the Year Award.

    The Naperville native started the year with the U-20 U.S. Women's National Team in Japan where they won and brought home the gold medal in the U-20 World Cup. DiBernardo started in all six games and produced the goal that downed Korea in the quarterfinals. 

    Vanessa returned to the Illini squad at the start of Big Ten play in September. She finished the season with a team high 21 points ( eight goals, five assists) while her 69 shots during Big Ten play ranked first overall amongst all conference players. Her 2012 performance earned her two Big Ten offensive player of the weeks, All-Big Ten Tournament, and her third First Team All-Big Ten.

    Fans from across the country will be able to vote for the top collegiate player until the polls close on Dec. 15. Online fan voting will account for 40% of the total toward the award. The remaining 60% of the vote will be cast by the Soccer News Net editorial staff. Yet, the winner of the popular vote will receive the Soccer News Net Supporter's Choice Award. 

    Illini supporters can cast their vote for DiBernardo through Chicagoland Soccer News here: http://www.chicagolandsoccernews.com/collegeboot/wplayerpoll.php

    Illinois Athletics

    Top Videos

    See more videos

    Twitter

    Follow Us On Twitter

    Contact

    University of Illinois Division of Intercollegiate Athletics

    Bielfeldt Athletic Administration Building
    1700 S. Fourth Street, Champaign, IL 61820
    217-333-3630 | E-Mail Us