Nov. 17, 2013
|Game 3: Illinois (2-1) vs. Alcorn State (1-2)|
|When||Sunday, Nov. 17, 2013 | 1 p.m. CT|
|Location||Champaign, Ill. | State Farm Center (16,618)|
|Tickets||$5 General Admission tickets | U of I students -- Free|
|Watch Online||Big Ten Digital Network on Fighting Illini All-Access|
|Radio||Illini Sports Network|
|Live Stats||Gametracker | Mobile Stats|
|Printable Game Notes||Illinois|
|Social Media||@IlliniWBB | #Illini | Facebook | YouTube
Illinois Probable Starters
|F||3||Taylor Tuck||6-0||Jr.||6.7||4.7||30.7 Min/Game|
|G||22||Ivory Crawford||5-10||Jr.||16.3||7.0||.488 FG%|
|G||0||Sarah Hartwell||5-10||r-So.||14.3||1.3||4.67 APG|
|G||42||Amber Moore||5-11||Sr.||23.7||10.0||5.67 3PT FG/Game|
|F||34||Jacqui Grant||6-3||Fr.||15.3||7.7||7-7 FT|
Series vs Alcorn state
• Illinois leads the series 1-0
• In their one and only meeting, Illinois defeated Alcorn State 73-56 on Nov. 24, 2000.
• This will be Bollant’s first time seeing the Lady Braves
Scouting the Lady Braves
• Alcorn State is struggling on the offensive end of the court as they average just 40.7 points per game. Their scoring margin is -25.6. The team averages just 13 field goals per game, good for a shooting percentage of .231.
• Alcorn State is coming off of a 50 point loss out in Boulder, losing 83-33 to Colorado. Their lone win came against Nebraska-Omaha, where they took it 50-45, their highest points total so far this season.
• Alcorn State is heavily dependent upon Tierro Frost, who averages 17.7 points per game. Expect to see a lot of Frost as she averages 34.3 minutes per game. The average point total significantly drops after Frost as Angelic Wilson-Reid checks in next with just 5.7.
• When it comes to rebounds, Alcorn State will look to Angelic Wilson-Reid for help. Reid averages 9.3 boards per game followed by Frost with 6.7.
• Hot offense rolling: The Illini scored the second highest point total under head coach Matt Bollant on Thursday night en route to a 93-70 victory over Mississippi Valley State. The Illinois offense has now scored above 90 points twice in three games. In fact, their current three game total of 272 points scored is the best three game stretch at Illinois since the 1998-99 season, when they hit that same mark Dec. 28-Jan. 3.
• Moore all-time three-point scoring leader: With four treys on Tuesday night, Amber Moore broke the school record for career three-point field goals made. Moore now sits in first place with 224 career treys, surpassing Lori Bjork’s 214.
• Starters Carry Scoring Load: Four of Illinois’ starting five are averaging at least 14 points per game. In this impressive three-game stretch where the squad is averaging 90.7 points per game, the starters are scoring 84.1% of the points.
• Moore and grant, the dynamic duo: When the final buzzer sounded, Moore and Grant scored over half the team’s points with a combined total of 49. Furthermore, Grant shot 50 percent from the field (7-14), 3-4 from beyond the arc, and finished with seven rebounds and four steals to go along with her career high 22 points. Moore’s 27 points meant the senior has now scored 20+ points in the first three games of the season. Her 71 total points so far marks the best three best span of her carer. In addition, her 27 points Thursday were just four points shy of her career high of 31 set back in February of 2012.
• Grant Will Not Surrender: Freshman forward Jacqui Grant started her Illini career on a strong note, posting a double-double in the season-opener against Bradley. The Park Ridge, Ill., native scored 12 points and pulled down 14 boards, including 10 offensive rebounds, in 27 minutes. Her 10 offensive boards are tied for fourth in school history. Grant is replacing Karisma Penn in the middle, who finished second in school history with 42 career double-doubles and had 14 last season.
Moore Than Just A Shooter
On Thursday night’s big win over Mississippi Valley State, Amber Moore proved that she not only can be a giant scoring threat for the illini, but also dictate the rebounding battle as well. The senior captured a career high 19 rebounds, blowing by her previous best of 10. In fact, her 19 rebounds tied the eighth highest single game total in Illinois history. The last Illini to accomplish 19 rebounds in a game was Karisma Penn vs. Georgia on Dec. 28 of last year, which also marked Penn’s career high.
Moore History to be Made
Last season, Amber Moore inked her name in the Illini record book when she broke the school record for three-point field goals made in a season with 86, besting the original mark of 84 mady by Lori Bjork (2006-07). Through three games this season, Moore already has 17 total treys, good for a 5.67 average per game. Thus, utilizing that average, Moore is on pace to score nearly double the record with 158 three-pointers.
Stealing the Win
Last season Illinois set a single season record when they recorded 417 total steals through 33 games. Through three games this year, the Illini are averaging 14.3 steals per game. Amber Moore leads the way with nine total steals on the season, followed by Grant with eight and Crawford and Gleason with seven each.
Meanwhile the Orange and Blue are creating 25.7 turnovers per game, while only making 17.3 of their own, good for a turnover margin of +8.3
Illini Bomb Squad Back At It
After breaking school records for three-pointers made (184) and attempted (634) in a season in 2012-13, the Illini picked up where they left off. So far, Illinois is averaging 10 treys per game. Furthermore, Illinois drained 12-of-27 three-pointers at Bradley on Nov. 9, tying the single-game school record and marking the Illini’s most three-pointers made in a loss in school history. They nearly tied that mark again on Nov. 14 against Mississippi Valley State, converting 11 three’s on 26 attempts.
Home Sweet Home
The Illini currently sit undefeated at home with a 2-0 record. Illinois is averaging a prolific 90 points inside the State Farm Center through two games. Last season, the Illini went 11-7 under Bollant at home and won six of their last seven home games. In addition, the Illini averaged 2,026 fans per game in the regular season, nearly doubling last year’s average of 1,070.
The Nov. 12 game vs. Valparaiso mared a stretch of four straight games at State Farm Center. This afternoon, Illinois will play its third game in a span of six days and will eventually play four games in 10 days before departing for the Cancun Challenge over the Thanksgiving holiday.
Bounce Back Kids
Last season under Bollant, the Illini lived up to their Fighting name, frequently bouncing back well after a loss. In fact, Illinois posted a 10-3 record in games following a defeat. After dropping a 98-92 decision in the opener to Bradley, the Orange and Blue bounced back with a 87-59 win over Valparaiso
1,000 Point Club
With 71 points through three games, Moore officially became the 26th player to cross the 1,000 point plateau. Moore’s 1,062 career points lands the senior in the No. 22 spot on the Illinois career points total list, surpassing recent teammate Adrienne Godbold and her 1,060 points. Next up is No. 21 Alicia Sheeler’s 1,091 points.