Junior Johnny Hamui clinched the 4-0 win for the Illini over Iowa Friday afternoon.
April 30, 2010
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. - In quarterfinal action Friday afternoon at the 2010 Big Ten Tournament hosted by Indiana University, the second-seeded Illini men's tennis team (18-9) cruised to a 4-0 victory over No. 7-seed Iowa (13-10) to advance to the semifinal round. Illinois will face the winner of third-seeded Michigan and sixth-seeded Indiana on Saturday at 1 p.m. CT.
"We're pleased to advance and move on to the semis," head coach Brad Dancer said. "Marek (Czerwinski) and Abe (Souza) led the way in doubles and did a great job today. They both also had strong starts in singles and Johnny (Hamui) looked relaxed and focused which is great to see. Good job from our guys today and we look forward to the challenge tomorrow."
The Illini struck first in doubles, as the 60th-ranked duo of senior Marek Czerwinski and junior Abe Souza downed Marc Bruche and Nikita Zotov, 8-1, before Illinois' 83rd-ranked tandem of junior Johnny Hamui and sophomore Dennis Nevolo edged Tommy McGeorge and Will Vasos, 8-6 to secure the 1-0 advantage.
Illinois carried the momentum over into singles and collected three consecutive straight-sets victories to quickly clinch the match. Leading the way was No. 73 Czerwinski, who topped Vasos, 6-2, 6-3 for his 26th win of the season, while No. 87 Souza defeated Zotov, 6-2, 6-2 for his team-and career-best 32nd victory of the season. Souza is now tied for 10th in school history for most wins in a single season. Hamui provided the clincher for the Illini, as he downed Reinoud Haal, 6-2, 6-2 for his 12th win of the season.
Live stats for all matches will be available HERE and visit fightingillini.com for complete results and recap throughout the weekend.
#14 Illinois 4, #61 Iowa 0
1. #42 Dennis Nevolo (ILL) vs. Marc Bruche (IOWA) 6-7, 3-0, unfinished
2. #73 Marek Czerwinski (ILL) def. Will Vasos (IOWA) 6-2, 6-3
3. #87 Abe Souza (ILL) def. Nikita Zotov (IOWA) 6-2, 6-2
4. Johnny Hamui (ILL) def. Reinoud Haal (IOWA) 6-2, 6-2
5. Stephen Hoh (ILL) vs. Tommy McGeorge (IOWA) 6-4, 2-1, unfinished
6. Bruno Abdelnour (ILL) vs. Austen Kauss (IOWA) 5-7, unfinished
1. #60 Marek Czerwinski/Abe Souza (ILL) def. Marc Bruche/Nikita Zotov (IOWA) 8-1
2. #83 Johnny Hamui/Dennis Nevolo (ILL) def. Tommy McGeorge/Will Vasos (IOWA) 8-6
3. Connor Roth/Stephen Hoh (ILL) vs. Reinoud Haal/Austen Kauss (IOWA) 4-7, unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (2,3,4)