Senior Dennis Nevolo won in both singles and doubles at Indiana.
April 20, 2012
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. - The 20th-ranked University of Illinois men's tennis team (13-7, 7-3 Big Ten) suffered its fourth loss in its last six matches, dropping a 5-2 decision to Indiana (19-8, 6-4) Friday afternoon at the IU Varsity Courts. Despite the loss, senior Dennis Nevolo and freshman Tim Kopinski won in singles action.
The Illini continued to struggle in double play, which has plagued them all season, dropping the point for the third time in its last four outings. No. 20 duo Nevolo and senior Roy Kalmanovich prevented the doubles sweep with an 8-4 win over No. 90 Isade Juneau and Jeremy Langer on court one.
The Illini could not rebound in singles action, falling on four courts. Kopinski managed to put the Orange and Blue on the board with a 6-4, 6-3 win over Stephen Vogl on court four, while No. 7 Nevolo battled back after dropping his second set to claim a 7-6, 2-6, 6-1 thriller over Juneau at the top spot.
The Orange and Blue will close out the regular season on Sunday at Noon, hosting Purdue in a Senior Day clash at Khan Outdoor Tennis Complex.
1. #7 Dennis Nevolo (ILL) def. Isade Juneau (IND-M) 7-6, 2-6, 6-1
2. Josh MacTaggart (IND-M) def. #30 Roy Kalmanovich (ILL) 6-2, 6-0
3. Jeremy Langer (IND-M) def. Bruno Abdelnour (ILL) 7-5, 6-4
4. Tim Kopinski (ILL) def. Stephen Vogl (IND-M) 6-4, 6-3
5. Will Kendall (IND-M) def. Stephen Hoh (ILL) 7-5, 7-5
6. Dimitrije Tasic (IND-M) def. Farris Gosea (ILL) 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
1. #20 Dennis Nevolo/Roy Kalmanovich (ILL) def. #90 Isade Juneau/Jeremy Langer(IND-M) 8-4
2. Josh MacTaggart/Alastair Barnes (IND-M) def. Ross Guignon/Tim Kopinski (ILL) 9-8 (7-1)
3. Will Kendall/Stephen Vogl (IND-M) def. Farris Gosea/Stephen Hoh (ILL) 8-6
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (2,4,3,5,1,6)