Junior Stephen Hoh was one of three Illini to win in both singles and doubles action on Saturday.
April 7, 2012
URBANA, Ill. - The 18th-ranked Fighting Illini men's tennis team (12-4, 6-1 Big Ten) bounced back after Friday's loss to capture a 6-1 win over Michigan State (14-9, 3-4) Saturday afternoon at Khan Outdoor Tennis Complex. Seniors Dennis Nevolo and Roy Kalmanovich and junior Stephen Hoh led the way with wins in both singles and doubles play.
The Illini took an early 1-0 lead, capturing the doubles point with wins at Nos. 1 and 3. No. 45 duo Nevolo and Kalmanovich got the Orange and Blue off to a strong start with an 8-5 win over No. 57 pairing Aaron Pfister and Drew Lied at the top spot. The Illini dropped their match on Court 2 before climbing back to win on Court 3, as Hoh and freshman Farris Gosea downed Doug Zade and Gijs Linders, 8-4.
The Orange and Blue carried that momentum into singles play winning the first five completed matches in straight sets. Fourth-ranked Nevolo led off with a quick 6-0, 6-1 win over Pfister at the No. 1 spot, followed by freshman Tim Kopinski's convincing 6-2, 6-2 victory over Austin Brooks on Court 5.
No. 31 Roy Kalmanovich sealed the Orange and Blue victory with a 6-1, 6-4 win over Ron Hulewicz at the No. 2 spot, marking his second singles win of the weekend. Meanwhile, Hoh added a 6-2, 6-1 win over Lied at No. 4, and junior Bruno Abdelnour won a 6-3, 6-4 decision over Denis Bogatov at No. 3 to round out the Illini scoring for the day.
Illinois will travel south next Thursday for a rare mid-week nonconference match, taking on No. 6 Kentucky in Lexington to kick off a four-match road stint.
1. #4 Dennis Nevolo (ILL) def. Aaron Pfister (MSU) 6-0, 6-1
2. #31 Roy Kalmanovich (ILL) def. Ron Hulewicz (MSU) 6-1, 6-4
3. Bruno Abdelnour (ILL) def. Denis Bogatov (MSU) 6-3, 6-4
4. Stephen Hoh (ILL) def. Drew Lied (MSU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Tim Kopinski (ILL) def. Austin Brooks (MSU) 6-2, 6-2
6. Gijs Linder (MSU) def. Farris Gosea (ILL) 7-6, 6-2
1. #45 Dennis Nevolo/Roy Kalmanovich (ILL) def. #57 Aaron Pfister/Drew Lied (MSU) 8-5
2. Harry Jadun/Austin Brooks (MSU) def. Tim Kopinski/Ross Guignon (ILL) 8-2
3. Stephen Hoh/Farris Gosea (ILL) def. Doug Zade/Gijs Linders (MSU) 8-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (1,5,2,4,3,6)