Sophomore KU Singh won his first collegiate match in Illinois' 6-1 victory over Denver.
Jan. 28, 2011
URBANA, Ill. - Despite falling behind 1-0 after doubles, the top-seeded Illini men's tennis team (1-1) bounced back in singles to advance to the second round of the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) Kick-Off Weekend event with a 6-1 victory over fourth-seeded Denver (1-1) Friday night. Illinois will face third-seeded Notre Dame tomorrow at 6 p.m. at Atkins Tennis Center for a spot in the Sweet 16 of the ITA National Team Indoor Championships.
The Pioneers struck first in doubles, as Andrew Landwelen and Jens Vorkefeld topped senior Johnny Hamui and junior Dennis Nevolo, 8-4, to secure a 1-0 lead heading into singles. That momentum was short-lived, however, as the Illini went on to claim all six singles matches in straight sets. No. 121 senior Abe Souza clinched the victory with a 6-1, 7-5 defeat of Landwelen for his 15th straight win at home dating back to last season.
Also highlighting the match was sophomore KU Singh, who collected his first collegiate win as an Illini, while junior Roy Kalmanovich picked up a victory in his first match back on the Illinois squad and Nevolo captured his team-best 16th win of the season and seventh over a nationally ranked opponent.
In the first match of the day, Notre Dame defeated second-seeded and 17th-ranked Oklahoma, 4-1. Oklahoma and Denver will play tomorrow at 2 p.m., followed by Illinois and Notre Dame at 6 p.m.
#16 Illinois 6, #39 Denver 1
1. #11 Dennis Nevolo (ILL) def. #25 Enej Bonin (DU) 6-0, 6-1
2. KU Singh (ILL) def. Jens Vorkefeld (DU) 7-6 (7-2), 6-3
3. #111 Johnny Hamui (ILL) def. Yannick Weihs (DU) 7-6 (7-1), 6-1
4. #121 Abe Souza (ILL) def. Andrew Landwelen (DU) 6-1, 7-5
5. Roy Kalmanovich (ILL) def. Fabio Biasion (DU) 6-2, 6-4
6. Stephen Hoh (ILL) def. Jonathan Kidane (DU) 6-0, 6-3
1. Andrew Landwelen/Jens Vorkefeld (DU) def. Dennis Nevolo/Johnny Hamui (ILL) 8-4
2. Abe Souza/Bruno Abdelnour (ILL) def. Enej Bonin/Fabio Biasion (DU) 8-5
3. Yannick Weihs/Jonathan Kidane (DU) def. Stephen Hoh/Brian Alden (ILL) 8-4
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (1,6,5,4,2,3)