Postgame Notes - Illinois 43, Indiana 13
Oct. 23, 2010
ILLINOIS Postgame Notes
1. Illinois' defense forced five turnovers today, recording four interceptions while also forcing and recovering a fumble. It marked the first time in eight years that Illinois forced five turnovers in a game, since topping Northwestern on Nov. 23, 2002.
2. The four interceptions were the most since Nov. 10, 2001, vs. Penn State, when Illinois also intercepted four passes.
3. Illinois converted a total of 24 points off the five Indiana turnovers.
4. Illinois' defense has allowed a total of only four touchdowns over the last three games.
5. Two of the Illini INTs resulted in touchdowns: Patrick Nixon-Youman scoring on a 68-yard interception return, the 15th-longest interception return for a TD in school history, and Jonathan Brown scoring on a 66-yard interception return, the 16th-longest interception return for a TD in school history.
7. In addition to the turnovers, Illinois also blocked two punts. Both came in the third quarter, first by Martez Wilson and followed by Nate Bussey. Bussey's occurred in the end zone, resulting in a safety. That marked the first safety by the Illini since Oct. 16, 2004, vs. Michigan.
8. The blocked punts by Wilson and Bussey were the first by an Illini since Vontae Davis blocked a punt at Indiana on Sept. 22, 2007.
9. Nathan Scheelhaase threw for a pair of touchdowns today, a 29-yard strike to Evan Wilson and a 17-yard pass to Jarred Fayson. It marked Scheelhaase's second career game with two touchdown passes, equaling his performance vs. Southern Illinois on Sept. 11.
10. Fayson's 17-yard TD catch marked his first touchdown reception of the season.
11. Derek Dimke made his first two field goal attempts of the day, connecting on 28- and 29-yarders, to extend his streak to 10 consecutive made field goals spanning the last four games, That streak, which tied the third longest in school history, ended in the third quarter with a miss from 51 yards.
12. Martez Wilson led the Illini defense with 12 tackles, his fourth game this season leading the Illini in tackles while also marking his fourth game of the season registering double figures.
13. With his 77 yards rushing today, Mikel Leshoure became the 18th Illini in school history to eclipse the 1,600-yard mark. Leshoure now stands in 18th place on the UI all-time rushing list with 1,617 yards.
14. Anthony Santella averaged 45.6 yards on five punts today, with two registering more than 50 yards and three downed inside the 20. Santella reached at least a 45-yard average for the sixth time in seven games this year and is now averaging 46.5 yards per punt on the season.