Postgame Notes - Ohio State 17, #16 Illinois 7
Oct. 15, 2011
ILLINOIS POSTGAME NOTES
2. Illinois' streak of 21 consecutive games forcing a turnover, which was the longest active streak in the nation, was snapped today against the Buckeyes.
3. Ohio State completed only one pass on the day. The last time an OSU team only had one completion was in 1976 vs. Missouri.
4. With the Buckeyes only attempting four passes and finishing with 17 yards, the Illini held OSU to less than 100 passing yards for the fourth-straight time.
5. Illinois' defense, which entered the game ranked 15th nationally in total defense, held Ohio State to 228 total yards, the first time the Illini have held an FBS opponent under 300 yards this season.
6. Illinois held Ohio State to 3-of-12 on third-down conversions on the day after entering the game ranked 23rd nationally in opponent third-down conversions.
7. The Illini also recorded four sacks on the day after entering the game ranked sixth nationally in sacks per game at 3.67.
2. Defensive lineman Whitney Mercilus recorded 1.5 sacks and reached double digits in total sacks (10) on the year, which is tied for fourth on Illinois' single season list.
3. Tight end Evan Wilson caught his third touchdown of the season. He had two TD catches in 13 games last season.
4. Wide receiver A.J. Jenkins caught eight passes for 80 yards, vaulting him into the top 10 for single-season receiving yards by an Illini. He is currently ninth on the list with 895 receiving yards this season.
5. With his extra point today, kicker Derek Dimke moved past Red Grange on the UI career scoring list, moving into sole possession of ninth on the all-time list with 187 points.
6. Punter Justin DuVernois booted six punts with an average of 38.3 yards, including three downed inside the 20 and one touchback. He also booted a career-best 66-yard punt in the first quarter.