Illinois Postgame Notes vs. Arizona State
Sept. 17, 2011
Illinois 17, #22/18 Arizona State 14
2. Illinois also improves to 14-7 all-time in night games at Memorial Stadium and has now won four consecutive prime-time match-ups. The victory also marked the Illini's first win against Arizona State in school history after ASU won games in 1987 and 1988.
3. In beating No. 22 Arizona State, Illinois defeated a team ranked in the AP poll for the first time since beating No. 1 Ohio State on Nov. 10, 2007. The Illini had dropped nine straight games to ranked teams following the win over the Buckeyes. Illinois also recorded its first win over a ranked non-conference opponent since beating No. 25 Louisville, 34-10, on Sept. 22, 2001.
4. The Illini defeated a Pac-12 opponent for the first time since Sept. 1, 2001, when they beat California, 44-17. Tonight's win also marked head coach Ron Zook's first career victory over a Pac-12 team.
5. The Illinois defense came up big tonight, holding Arizona State to 14 points with three takeaways (two interceptions and one fumble recovery). Coming into tonight, Arizona State was averaging 42.5 points per game. Illinois now has forced eight turnovers in three games in 2011.
6. The defense sacked Arizona State quarterback Brock Osweiler six times, marking its best total since tallying seven sacks against Minnesota on Nov. 7, 2009.
7. Red-zone conversions proved to be important once again tonight, as Illinois went 3-for-3 inside the red zone while holding ASU to a 1-for-3 performance. The Illini are now 13-of-13 inside the red zone this year.
2. With 67 rushing yards today, sophomore quarterback Nathan Scheelhaase joines the Illini list of career 1,000-yard rushers. Scheelhaase now has 1,052 rushing yards, 36th all-time at Illinois, and is only the second QB in school history to surpass the 1,000-yard barrier.
3. Junior defensive tackle Glenn Foster's interception in the first quarter was the first of his career. It was also the first Illini interception by a lineman since Doug Pilcher on Sept. 12, 2009, against Illinois State.
4. Senior running back Jason Ford's touchdown run in the first quarter moved him into seventh on the Illinois career rushing touchdowns list. Ford now has 23 career rushing touchdowns to match Mikel Leshoure (2008-10), Ty Douthard (1993-96) and Red Grange (1923-25).
5. Sophomore linebacker Jonathan Brown had a career game against the Sun Devils, with seven tackles and 3.5 tackles for loss. Brown also tallied 1.5 sacks and tallied his second career interception. The TFLs and sacks both were career highs.