Dec. 11, 2011
#24/22 Illinois 80, Coppin State 63
Illinois Postgame Notes
Dec. 11, 2011 // Assembly Hall, Champaign, Ill. // Attendance: 14,811
1. With the victory, Illinois starts the season 10-0 for the first time since 2005-06 (15-0), which ties the ninth-best start in school history (1968-69). The 10-straight wins mark the fourth-longest winning streak under head coach Bruce Weber.
2. The win extends the Illini's regular season non-conference home winning streak to 25 games.
3. The Illini won their 13th consecutive December home game and improved to 31-3 in December home games under Weber.
4. D.J. Richardson led the Illini with 20 points, tying his career high and marking his team-high eighth double-figure scoring performance this season. Over the last three games, Richardson is averaging 16.7 ppg.
5. Meyers Leonard secured his second-career double-double, finishing with 18 points and 11 rebounds to go along with a career-high four assists. Over his last five games, Leonard is averaging 14.2 ppg and shooting 72.5 percent (29-of-40) from the field.
6. Both Brandon Paul and Sam Maniscalco scored 12 points, giving the Orange and Blue four players in double figures and making this contest the fifth game in which at least four Illini scored double digits this season.
7. The Illini shot over 50 percent for the fourth time this season, hitting 31-of-55 attempts (56.4 percent), just a tenth shy of their season-best performance of 56.5 percent (35-of-62) against Chicago State.
8. The Orange and Blue hit a season-high 10 three-pointers and shot over 40 percent for the first time this year, draining 10-of-22 (45.5 percent) from distance.
9. After the Eagles cut the Illini lead to two at 59-57 with 8:02 remaining, Illinois closed the game on a 21-6 run. The Illini never lost the lead after jumping ahead 13-12 and never let CSU tie it again after it was all-square at 20-20.
10. Illinois had just nine turnovers, just two off its season-low of seven and the second time the squad has been in single digits. The Illini also took advantage of the 12 miscues by Coppin State, scoring 21 points off turnovers.
11. The Illini won the battle in the paint for the ninth time this year, holding a 36-18 advantage over the Eagles.