Dec. 7, 2011
#24/22 Illinois 48, St. Bonaventure 43
Illinois Postgame Notes
Dec. 7, 2011 // Assembly Hall; Champaign, Ill. // Attendance: 14,711
1. With the victory, Illinois improves to 9-0 to begin the year for the first time since 2005-06 (15-0), which ties the 10th-best start in school history. The nine straight wins is the fourth-longest winning streak under head coach Bruce Weber.
2. The win extends the Illini's regular season non-conference home winning streak to 24 games.
3. The Illini won their 12th consecutive December home game and improved to 30-3 in December home games under Weber.
4. After falling behind 39-30 with 5:22 remaining, Illinois closed the contest on an 18-4 run, highlighted by a 1:19 stretch (from 3:57 to 2:38) where Brandon Paul scored eight straight points to even the contest at 41.
5. Paul matched his season high with 17 points, which included 11 of the team's final 15 points. Five of those tallies came at the free throw line. Paul also had a season-high 10 MATTO points, equaling the most by an Illini this year.
6. Meyers Leonard nearly had his second career double-double with nine points and eight rebounds despite taking only three shots. He hit all three field goals in the game and scored the other four points not made by Paul in the final 3:57.
7. D.J. Richardson, who now leads Illinois with seven double-figure scoring games this season, was the only other Illini in double digits (11) and hit the initial three-pointer to spark the 18-4 run.
8. The game featured seven ties and eight lead changes, the most in either category during an Illinois game this year.
9. The nine-point deficit (30-39) Illinois faced was the most the Illini have trailed in the second half and tied the largest deficit this season, which came at Maryland (11-20).