Jon Ekey scored 10-straight points to break open the game in the second half.
Nov. 22, 2013
Illinois Postgame Notes
Illinois 77, Chicago State 53
State Farm Center // Nov. 22, 2013 // Attendance: 15,488
1. Illinois improved to 5-0 on the season with the 77-53 victory. It marks the third-straight season the Illini have started the season with at least five consecutive wins, a streak that began in 2010-11.
2. Illinois won its 27th straight non-conference game at State Farm Center and extended its home court winning streak in regular season non-conference games to 38 in a row.
3. Illinois is now 13-0 in November under head coach John Groce and has won its last 24 games overall in the month of November.
4. Illinois ended the game on a 22-2 run after Chicago State pulled within 55-51 with eight minutes to play. The Illini held Chicago State without a field goal for the final eight minutes of the game.
5. After going 7-of-11 from 3-point range in the second half against Bradley and 9-for-21 tonight, the Illini are 16-of-32 from deep in the last three halves after shooting 16-for-64 (25 percent) from long range in the first seven halves of the season.
6. The Illini had six turnovers in the first 5:49 of the game but only committed four giveaways in the final 34:11.
7. Illinois outrebounded the Cougars by 19 (39-20), the fourth time in five games the Illini have outrebounded their opponent by at least 13 boards. The Illini also grabbed 14 offensive rebounds, which is actually their lowest mark of the season.
8. Four Illini scored in double figures, marking four-straight games at least four Illini have scored 10 or more points.
9. After Illinois held the Cougars to 40 percent shooting (18-for-45) tonight, all five Illini opponents this season have been held to 40 percent shooting or worse.
10. The Illini never trailed in the game, marking the third time in five games the Illini have led wire-to-wire. In total, the Illini have trailed for just 3:18 of the season's 200 minutes.
1. Jon Ekey has scored 19 points in back-to-back games after totaling 15 points in his first three games combined.
2. With Illinois leading by four, 55-51, Ekey personally went on a 10-0 scoring run in a 2:14 stretch between 7:30 and 5:15 remaining in the game. In the stretch, Ekey went 4-4 from the field, 2-2 from the 3-point line and grabbed five rebounds (two offensive) rebounds.
3. Ekey is 12-for-19 (.632) from the 3-point line in the last three games after starting the season 1-for-8 (.125) from deep.
4. Rayvonte Rice scored in double figures for the fifth time this season. Rice is the only Illini to score in double figures in each game.
5. Tracy Abrams posted a season-best five assists and tied a season-low with only one turnover.