Jaylon Tate had five assists and only one turnover against Bradley. He came into the game leading the Big Ten with a 5.5:1 assist-to-turnover ratio.
Nov. 17, 2013
Illinois Postgame Notes
Illinois 81, Bradley 55
State Farm Center // Nov. 17, 2013 // Attendance: 15,849
1. Illinois improved to 4-0 on the season with the 81-55 victory. It marks the fourth-straight season the Illini have started the season with at least four consecutive wins, a streak that began in 2010-11.
2. Illinois won its 26th straight non-conference game at State Farm Center and extended its home court winning streak in regular season non-conference games to 37 in a row.
3. Illinois is now 12-0 in November under head coach John Groce, and overall has won its last 23 games in the month of November.
4. The Illini trailed 2-0 tonight, just their second deficit this season. The Bradley lead lasted for only 23 seconds, as the Illini tied it up at the 18:46 mark and never looked back. The Illini have trailed for just 23 second over their last 155:51 of action and 3:18 total in 160 minutes this season.
5. Illinois held Bradley scoreless for nearly six minutes in the middle of a 15-2 first-half scoring run that turned a 9-8 game into a 24-10 Illini advantage, and the Illini kept the lead at double-digits the rest of the way.
6. The Illini went 3-for-14 from downtown in the first half but hit four quick three's in the first four minutes of the second half. Illinois went 7-for-11 from three-point range in the second half, to finish 10-of-25 for the game (40 percent).
7. Illinois dominated the rebounding battle, winning the battle of the boards 49-25 overall. The Illini also had 19 offensive boards, 10 more than Bradley. Illinois was +24 on the glass for the second time this season, having outrebounded Alabama State 52-28 in the season opener.
8. The Illinois tallied a season-high 19 assists, five more than its previous season high of 14 against both Jacksonville State and Alabama State.
9. Jon Ekey posted his first double-digit scoring game as an Illini, putting up 19 points and sinking 5-of-7 three-pointers.
11. Freshman guard Jaylon Tate tallied five assists and only one turnover. He came into the game leading the Big Ten with a 5.5:1 assist-to-turnover ratio.
12. Tonight's game will be replayed by the Big Ten Network on Monday, Nov. 18, at 2 p.m. CT.
13. Bradley head coach Geno Ford is the older brother of Illini assistant coach Dustin Ford. The brothers were both standout players at Ohio University. Geno was then on the Bobcat bench as an assistant coach during part of Dustin's playing career. Today was not the first time the Fords were on opposing sidelines. Prior to taking over at Bradley, Geno was head coach at Kent State for three seasons. Dustin also was in the Mid-American Conference at that time, serving as an assistant coach at Ohio for John Groce.