Nov. 14, 2009
#23 Illinois 96, SIU Edwardsville 69
November 13, 2009
Assembly Hall; Champaign, Ill.
1. Brandon Paul broke the Illinois record for most points by a freshman in a season opener, scoring 22 points. The previous record was 21 points set by Deon Thomas vs. American-Puerto Rico on Nov. 23, 1990.
2. Freshmen D.J. Richardson and Paul both started their first career games, marking the first time ever that head coach Bruce Weber has started more than one true freshman in an Illini season opener. The only other freshman to start under Weber in a season opener was Brian Randle on Nov. 22, 2003 vs. Western Illinois.
3. The last time more than one freshman started for Illinois in a season-opener was when Dee Brown, Deron Williams and James Augustine made their collegiate debuts on Nov. 24, 2002 in a 90-56 win over Lehigh.
4. Illinois' 96 points were its highest point total since scoring 105 vs. Longwood on Dec. 27, 2004. It is also Illinois' second-highest point total under Bruce Weber.
6. Davis had the 10th double-double of his career, with a game-high 10 rebounds to go along with his 10 points.
7. McCamey led the Illini with seven assists.
8. Illinois won its 11th straight season opener and improves to 90-15 (.857) all-time in home openers and 40-7 (.851) all-time in home openers at Assembly Hall.
9. Illinois dominated the first half, shooting 56 percent from the field (18-of-32) and holding SIU-E to just 25 percent (7-of-28). The Illini also controlled the paint, with a 16-6 scoring advantage in the first half.