Jan. 18, 2011
#23/22 Illinois 71, #17/18 Michigan State 62
Jan. 18, 2011
Assembly Hall; Champaign, Ill.
1. With the win, Illinois improved to 10-0 at home for the second year in a row and 14-5 overall. The Illini are now 4-2 in the Big Ten with No. 1 Ohio State (5-0 Big Ten) up next.
2. Senior Demetri McCamey recorded his second double-double of the season and eighth of his career with 15 points and a season-high 11 assists.
3. Sophomore Brandon Paul came off the bench to lead all scorers with a season-high 20 points (7-for-11), including 4-for-6 from beyond the arc.
4. Freshman Jereme Richmond also came off the bench to add a career-high 14 points (6-for-8), marking his seventh double-digit game of the season.
5. Senior Mike Davis posted his fourth double-double of the year and 28th of his career with 11 points and 11 rebounds.
6. The Illini defense held their opponent to under 40 percent shooting for the fifth-straight game, as they limited Michigan State to 24-of-64 (37.5 percent) from the field.
7. In Illinois' three Big Ten home games, the Illini have shot over 50 percent from the field in each contest, combining to connect on 79-of-132 fields goals (59.8 percent). The Orange and Blue have also stayed hot from behind the arc, as they have nailed 23-of-43 (53.5 percent) in those three games.
8. Illinois outscored the Michigan State bench 34-22, marking the 15th time it has held the advantage this season, with all 34 points coming from Paul and Richmond.
9. Illinois capitalized on Michigan State's nine turnovers, scoring 15 points on the Spartan miscues.
10. After the lead changed hands nine times in the first 11 minutes, Illinois went ahead 25-23 on a Richmond dunk with 9:01 remaining in the first half and never lost the advantage.