March 27, 2010
2010-11 Cheerleading Rules and Policies
Illinois Cheerleading Application
Tryouts for the 2010-2011 Cheerleading Team will be held on April 17-18, 2010
THIS IS MOM'S WEEKEND ON CAMPUS, PLEASE MAKE HOTEL RESERVATIONS EARLY! ATTENDANCE AT ALL CLINICS IS MANDATORY. Video entries are not permitted.
If there are any changes in the tryout process (dates, times, location), we will let you know by email and we will post the changes on the website. Please include a current email address on your application!
Details about the formal tryout process are outlined below.
What to wear:
Guys: Navy blue shorts and an orange top. Avoid wearing baggy clothes. Please be clean shaven and have a conservative haircut. ABSOLUTELY NO JEWELRY!
Girls: Navy blue shorts and an orange top. Keep hair pulled back away from your face and wear a white bow. ABSOLUTELY NO JEWELRY! Do not use lotion prior to practice, as it makes stunting more difficult.
Saturday, April 17th events will be held at Kenney Gym, Room 312, 1402 W. Springfield Ave., Urbana, IL 61801
CLINIC AND FIRST CUT - Saturday, April 17th, 9 am - 12 p.m.
Girls: Tumbling skills and a cheer and fight song taught during the clinic will be evaluated. Tumbling skills are not taught at the clinics.
Guys: Basic stunt clinic and instructional clinic on cheer and fight song
CLINIC AND SECOND CUT - Saturday, April 17th, 1-4 p.m.
Basic stunts such as a walk-in torch, chair, extension, liberty, stretch, & arabesque are taught during clinics.
CLINIC AND THIRD CUT - Saturday, April 17th, 6-9 p.m.
Stunt clinic for all trying out, interviews for new candidates will be conducted
Sunday, April 18th events will be held at Huff Hall, 1206 S Fourth Street, Champaign, IL 61820
FINAL CLINIC - Sunday, April 18th, 9-11 a.m.
Mandatory review for all remaining tryout candidates
TRYOUTS - Sunday, April 18th, Warm ups 12:30 p.m.; Tryouts 1:00 - 4:00 p.m.
All candidates must supply the following by April 2, 2010:
- Proof of acceptance to or enrollment in the University of Illinois
- A physical within the past six months (THIS IS NOT NEGOTIABLE)
- Photocopy of current insurance card
- Signed Code of Conduct and Expectations Agreement from the 2010-2011 University of Illinois Cheerleading Rules & Policies
- New applicants must also provide two letters of recommendation from current or former coaches and/or teachers. The letters should outline the applicant's most outstanding athletic and academic achievements (i.e. leadership, sportsmanship, commitment, work ethic, and responsibility). Letters should be submitted with the application in separate envelopes with the recommender's signature across the seal.
Tryouts for Illinois Cheerleading consist of performing the following:
- Fight song
- 3 coed stunts:
- Hands extension, liberty, stretch, or arabesque
- Stretch with a full cradle
- Walk-in extension or liberty
- If you are unable to perform these stunts safely you can perform the most difficult stunt within your ability. These stunts will be judged and potential to improve will be considered.
- Standing back handspring
- Standing back tuck
- Standing back handspring back tuck
- One tumbling pass
- If you are unable to perform all of these skills safely you can perform the skills within your ability. These skills will be judged and potential to improve will be considered.
- Oral interview with the coaches
We will teach you almost everything you need to know to try out. You do not need to know how to coed stunt before you come to tryouts, but everyone must be able and willing to learn (we usually do not have any girl bases). During the cheer and fight song we are looking for crowd appeal, projection, enthusiasm, and the ability to get others involved. During the final tryouts all candidates will need to know the words to the fight song. The words and music will be provided before the final tryout.
Tumbling is not taught at tryouts. There will be people available for light spotting while you are warming up, but only on skills that you have experience with. We will not spot you on a skill you have never tried before. Also, when you perform your tumbling for the actual tryout, you cannot have a spot.
If you are interested in trying out for the 2010-2011 U of I Cheerleading squad, please submit the required information to:
Stephanie Record, Head Cheerleading Coach
University of Illinois
1700 S. Fourth St.
Champaign, IL 61820
*Application forms for incoming or transfer students must be received by April 2, 2010.